Auto-Renewal DOES NOT TURN OFF!

Right to the point, Microsofts "auto renewal" is some serious b.s. It's impossible to cancel from a computer, a smart phone, or a tablet. I've tried multiple times on multiple devices. What if I don't have access to my Xbox anymore, I have to sit on hold for 45 minutes on a MONDAY MORNING so ill get so fed up and keep giving Microsoft money every month? It's not just me, I have not come in contact with one single person, both in real life and over the Internet, who has been successful in turning auto renewal off. Microsoft, you are a bunch of crooks. Making it nearly impossible and extremely time consuming to cancel a simple subscription is horrendous. This is not an old issue, nor is it a bug. There has been no support for this issue other than copy and paste from support, or "call us!". I will be selling my Xbox now, after pulling it out ONLY to cancel my subscription via console. If this doesn't work, ill be contacting my bank and putting a hold on all withdrawals from Microsoft. If this continues, I will be seeking compensation for fraud, as many others have. Simply disgusted, it should not be this hard to cancel a simple subscription. Couldn't be happier that I switched to Apple products. Microsoft, you are so clearly the inferior company in terms of products and customer service. Apple would never pull crap like this, and after all of the problems I've had with canceling this subscription, I'm wholeheartedly convicted that it is an intentional gimmick to keep subs. I will never buy a Microsoft product again, never ever never. Disgusted.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 261 Applies to:

They really don't mean to make you frustrated. They have to provide service for a lot of people and its probably very hard to keep up with a few small bugs. If your more satisfied with apple I would just use their products. In the mean time I would contact xbox support over the phone. They would be more than happy to help you with your dilemma.  support.xbox.com/.../contact-us    Here's the number, and good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I came here to post pretty much the same thing. A quick google search will return plenty of these threads, and its been happening for years. So i'll add my complaint to the pile and hope something gets done about it

Has anybody ever, ever got a different response from the auto-renewal cancelling feature than this:

[View:http://i50.tinypic.com/uqwc4.jpg]

Its also been mentioned before that there seem to be innumerable ways to sign up for an xbox membership, but for a very long time, the only way to cancel your membership is to go through the hassle of phoning up. Which i'll be having to do tomorrow I guess

EDIT - thank you for the number Meisun

Sorry this didn't help.

For the record, I've been on the phone with them twice. Twice I've been on hold for over half an hour (AFTER telling them I want to cancel), but my buddy calls up to subscribe/other support. And VOILA. Put right through and talked to a support agent. Issues regarding anything but a cancellation are dealt with immediately.

This isn't a bug, there's threads comparing about this from over a year ago. I find it hard to believe that microsoft is unaware of the situation. Their support forum agents copy and paste, then tell them to call, just like theyll tell me to do i guess. And it's no small bug either, it has to do with financials!!

^ Thanks for the screenshot bud, you're definitely not alone in being duped.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys,

If you are experiencing issues with canceling the auto renew through the internet then you most definitely can call the support number and have them turn the auto renew off for you (1-800-4my-xbox). I have and know lots of people who have done it this way with NO issues. So just call them up and ask them to turn it off for you.

i also know plenty of people who have been able to do it themselves as well, just appears some unfortunately experience issues with this. :/

Hope you guys get it squared away.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi folks!  Official support here! You should definitely be able to cancel auto-renewal online. (I've done so for my personal account, in fact!)  You're right, I would normally suggest calling support, but since there's been a bad experience there already, I'm willing to try sorting it using the website if you are too.  The first thing we'd want to do is make sure that all info is up-to-date at http://commerce.microsoft.com can you also try that cancel tool through a different browser?  IE would be ideal.  Please let us know how it goes!

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same problem .. Was so easy before.  ..... Now the xbox one is out and everyone finding how bad it is they are trying to force you to keep accounts with them ....no wander everybody leaving them bunch of theives

Sorry this didn't help.

Lacey, actually turning off Xbox Live Gold Membership Auto-Renewal is still pretty straight forward.  Just go to xbox.com/account, make sure you're signed into your account, click on "Subscriptions", look for Xbox Live on the right.  You're looking for a link that lets you cancel the auto-payment.  Then your Gold just turns itself off at the end of the cycle.  As for the Xbox One, I've enjoyed my time on it.  If your experience has been less than satisfactory, maybe Customer Support can help you sort out the issue?  Also, yeah, this thread's super old, so if you have questions, feel free to start up a new thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah I wasn't aware that I even had mine on. When my card expired I got an email from Xbox saying that my card expired and that my gold couldn't renew. Its my fault i guess for not noticing it I guess.....just wish I could get my money back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, longshot5211! This thread is pretty old here. I see that you were given a courtesy refund by support, so I'm glad we were able to sort things out with you! If you do get charged in the future, please do contact support again to get everything resolved with autorenewal. If you have any issues we can troubleshoot with you, please post up a new thread and we'll be more than happy to help you out individually! :D

Sorry this didn't help.