Auto-Renewal can now be turned off..with a catch

Microsoft has reinstated the option to allow Xbox Live Gold members to turn off auto-renewal to the service via their account settings on Xbox.com.

The option, which was previously accessible via Microsoft's web portal, was removed by Microsoft back in 2009, forcing Gold members with an active Gold subscription and credit card on file to call Xbox Customer Service in order to cancel their subscription, a move criticised by the vast majority of subscribers.

Failing to cancel auto-renewal prior to your Xbox Live Gold subscription expiring would sign customers up for another membership at the current rate.

If you'd like to turn off your auto-renewal, just access your Accounts section on Xbox.com and follow the on-screen processes.

Auto-renewal shouldn't affect those who have used 12 month subscription cards purchased at retail.

According to reports, the ability to turn off auto-renewal online is currently only available to Xbox Live Gold users in the UK.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Nice catch...

[VIEW:[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs]]

Do you have a link to this information? Where did you hear this from?

[quote user="Temhotabot"]

Do you have a link to this information? Where did you hear this from?

[/quote]

I have just turned off my Auto-Renewel via the Xbox.com Account Settings.

[quote user="gameshoes3003"]

Nice catch...

[/quote]

If only NA had this option =(

Using a pre-paid subscription card would solve the auto-renewal and potential hacking issue - Which is what I always does.

Apparently it's a mistake and they will take it off again.

Users may experience difficulties with the following services:

• Some users may notice "Auto-Renewal" has been re-activated on their Xbox LIVE accounts.

We are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience

Link

[quote user="SONIC SCREAM 07"]

• Some users may notice "Auto-Renewal" has been re-activated on their Xbox LIVE accounts.

We are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience

Link

[/quote]

Huh.. Why does that suggest that they are removing the Auto-Renewel ON/OFF feature?

Also to the people above. I turned my Auto-Renewel off last night and threw a PrePaid Card onto my gamertag
. What is this "catch" you speak of, is it the that it is only available to Gold Members or something?

[quote user="The Resistance"]

[quote user="SONIC SCREAM 07"]

Link

[/quote]

Huh.. Why does that suggest that they are removing the Auto-Renewel ON/OFF feature?

Also to the people above. I turned my Auto-Renewel off last night and threw a PrePaid Card onto my gamertag
. What is this "catch" you speak of, is it the that it is only available to Gold Members or something?

[/quote]

It suggests they will remove the auto-renewal option because the notice calls it a problem and an issue they are resolving.

While I wouldn't call it a catch, my guess is the OP is refering to the fact that it's only available as an option in the UK.