Auto-opening disc tray, broken console, how fix?

Ok here's the story:

(it's an old elite xbox)

I was playing Black Ops and decided to change the game, so I hit the eject button during a match.

I put the disc for Red Dead and closed the drive, it just reopened. I closed it again and it reopened again, kept trying and well, you get it.

But then I found, that if I turn my xbox upside down it works and keeps the tray closed when it should.

However, it decided to play up again, and now having my xbox the right way up has it working, no other position will work, so I can't have it standing vertically.

What's going on here, how can I get this fixed? Is there a fix?

HELP, this is an elite, it shouldn't be doing this. Hell my N64 still works and so does my Windows 95 machine, why is this new peice of kit doing this?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Unless you are still inside the 12 months warranty for the console, you'll have to pay Microsoft around £70 to fix it.

-_______-

Kidding right?

Ah well, at least I can still play it. I think if it becomes unplayable then I will just give up xbox altogether

[quote user="Dr Blue Socks"]

-_______-

Kidding right?

Ah well, at least I can still play it. I think if it becomes unplayable then I will just give up xbox altogether

[/quote]I wish I was kidding about the price, as the drive has gone completely in my Elite, all I can play on it at the moment are my XBLA and Games on Demand titles.

so I have to decide whether to get it repaired or just use it as a media streamer.

There is the option to replace the drive myself but of course if I do that I run the very real risk of being banned from Live.

Thats a *** joke. A £200 piece of kit didn't even make the 3 year mark. Microsoft bunch of money stealing ***.

Yes I mad.

Register the console at Xbox live support and it will tell you what you need to know.

I phoned up bout a fault on my drive on an old Elite n they told me it would cost £98 for a replacement drive fitting. I said "No thanks!" :(

[quote user="DvBloke"]

I phoned up bout a fault on my drive on an old Elite n they told me it would cost £98 for a replacement drive fitting. I said "No thanks!" :(

[/quote]

If it's that much, you're better off getting a brand new xbox.

Blimey, £98? That's gone up from when I asked.

It's just incredibly wasteful as well. Apart from the drive my console works fine but it is stupid when it is more cost effective to buy a new 360 than get the current one repaired.

Wow £98 , thats well harsh , and of course getting it fixed on the cheap by some third party random will undoubtably get the xbox bricked as soon as it`s connected to live , £98 for a drive that probably costs around a tenner , robbing gits !

Best thing to do is stop whinging about Microsoft and go and buy a new xbox.