auto creation of gamer tag

With my purchase of a new windows 8 laptop I wanted to link my xbox live gamer tag to it. As soon as I finished starting it up it auto created a new gamer tag for me. It is a little bit frustrating that one it just did it for me and two I had no idea it was doing it until I went and tried to link my old gamer tag with my new windows live id. Now I’m stuck waiting the three months it takes for this new windows live account’s to gamertag to allow a transfer ‘for security it says.’ It just makes me a little P. O.  and itf it wasn’t for the fact that I really like my gamer  tag and need my windows live id to stay the same, I would give up and start over. But no, I have to give in to Microsoft’s, ‘we know what we’re doing and we’re always right attitude’

If anyone in xbox live support really cared they would either stop the auto creation of gamer tags or make it easier to switch them out, and definitely stop doing it without our permission.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

I understand that can be quite irritating, There is a feedback option at the bottom of xbox.com. That is the best place to leave suggestions such as this. The 30 day wait period is a protection method done for you, in order to protect your account from someone else stealing it, it gives you 30 days to cancel that if it is not you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you created the log-in account with the same e-mail address as your Microsoft Account it should've used your existing tag.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.