Audio question

Just wanted to ask everyone does HDMI cabling carry dolby digital 5.1 sound?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It does indeed.

Ah thats good news I was skeptical as to whether only TOSlink carried full surround sound but that is going to make things easier. Thanks for the reply.

My aim is to buy some astro A40s and would just like to clarify the following setup. HDMI goes from the console to the TV then TOSlink goes from optical out on the TV to the MIx Amp thats bought with the Astros. So my fianl question is will the full surround sound of made that journey from the console all the way to the Headset?

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that it should work. You might have to lower the volume on the TV (internal speakers) or turn on Internal Mute if you have that feature on your TV.

Currently I just turn the volume to zero on the internal speakers and have the xbox pumping through a bowers and wilkins zeppellin via TOSlink. Sounds really good already for games and movies but like the idea of surround sound and thought this might work. With the cables used I cant see why it shouldnt work like you said

If the amp supports it you can route video and audio to the TV through the amp via HDMI also.

I believe the mix amp is only a small device no bigger than a TV remote, so im not sure if you could do that. I assume your referring to a full size amp like you use with a proper 5.1 setup speakers and all the rest of it.

if you are going to take the audio from the tv to the amp then make sure your tv supports surround throughput as most flat screen tv's only output dolby stereo via optical

Would you know a way of finding that information as the manual has no information other than it is a optical connection and thats it and so far the internet just mentions the same.

Just checked the AV forums and according to their xbox 360 section there is a sticky which states you may not be able to get surround sound over HDMI but there are different versions of HDMI now so it could be right and wrong in different people's circumstances. However I know of the trick where you pop the top of your component cable off but in some cases you can fit both HDMI and component cables to the cojsole at the same time without modification however this depends how large your HDMI cable is. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for all the replies by the way :)

[quote user="Cetewayo"]

Just checked the AV forums and according to their xbox 360 section there is a sticky which states you may not be able to get surround sound over HDMI but there are different versions of HDMI now so it could be right and wrong in different people's circumstances. However I know of the trick where you pop the top of your component cable off but in some cases you can fit both HDMI and component cables to the cojsole at the same time without modification however this depends how large your HDMI cable is. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for all the replies by the way :)

[/quote]

That would work, but as other members have reported (even after I warned them), whenever you switch channels on your TV (eg from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2), that will restart the XBox every single time.

So if you don't mind that, then you can do it, but if you do mind, then you will need to get the HDMI adapter.