Audio popping and crackling in headphones

Hey everyone, my problem is that I sometimes get popping and crackling in my headphones on Xbox One. 

The amount of popping seems to change depending on whether my controller is using power from a USB or batteries. The popping seems to get worse when the batteries are low on power.

If I am watching a video, the popping gets worse when I rewind. If I keep watching, the popping starts to come back, although I can temporarily solve this problem by pulling out and reconnecting my headphones.

I have been on Xbox One for 2 years and I have used 2 different controllers and 3 different headphones since then and the popping carried on. So this issue can't possibly be the fault of a particular controller or headset. When I bought my first turtle beach recon x50, it started popping. Eventually the microphone stopped working, but I could still use it to listen on all my devices.

I then bought a new controller and new pair of recon x50s, and it was fine for a while, and then popping started again. Recently that pair of Reconx50s also developed a fault where the mic stopped working, although it would still play audio, it would work with my PC, however it would not work with my phone.

I now own a pair of XO Fours, which are a bit more expensive, and already some slight popping happens. So it can't be due to quality of any particular headset.

Now I have no idea what could be happening and I am not an expert at this sort of stuff, but I have a feeling that there is some sort of issue with xbox one controllers, perhaps to do with the electricity, (since batteries low on power worsen the problem), that is damaging the jacks on headphones and eventually causing them to develop faults.

Now could anyone who is knowledgeable with this stuff give me any possible reason this could be happening? Since I first noticed the popping 2 years ago, I have gone through new controllers, new headsets, and I even have a new console, so it can't be that any particular device was faulty, I have ruled all that out, so please don't tell me to do troubleshooting and stuff.

If anyone could give me even the slightest clue as to what's going on, I would be very grateful.

Hey there redraptor97.

Odd that this is happening across controllers and headsets. It certainly sounds like you may experiencing some wireless interference. My thinking is that when your batteries are low, your controller's wireless strength is weakening. Do you have any other wireless devices in the room that you can move to see if there's any change?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there redraptor97.

Odd that this is happening across controllers and headsets. It certainly sounds like you may experiencing some wireless interference. My thinking is that when your batteries are low, your controller's wireless strength is weakening. Do you have any other wireless devices in the room that you can move to see if there's any change?

Hello, by wireless devices do you mean devices that can connect to the internet? Sometimes I keep my phone and laptop near, but the popping happens whether or not they are near. This also doesn't explain why the jacks keep breaking eventually.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again redraptor987.

Thanks for clarifying! I was more referring to routers possibly in between your console and controller. It doesn't sound like an issue with any particular controller or headset, which is why I was thinking there may be nearby interference. Are you in a house or are you in an apartment?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There isn't a router between my controller and console and I don't think neighbours' routers' would cause interference if that's what you're getting at since my router is closest anyway.

I'm really confused. I was using a Turtle beach audio controller with my headset. I unplugged that and plugged the headset directly to the controller and that seemed to lessen the popping. So does interference cause popping and crackling? When I move my controller really far away from my console, my headset starts to crackle before disconnecting so you could be right.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've also tried moving the controller directly in front of the Xbox and it still happens. So I really haven't got a clue as to what to do.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now I have another problem, where my headphones suddenly cut out after lots of popping and crackling, and I have to disconnect and reconnect my headphones. This has happened before, but it is becoming more frequent. I removed all wireless devices such as phones and laptops and disconnected them from the internet, and it is still happening, does anyone know what to do, or any technical support?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now I have another problem, where my headphones suddenly cut out after lots of popping and crackling, and I have to disconnect and reconnect my headphones. This has happened before, but it is becoming more frequent. I removed all wireless devices such as phones and laptops and disconnected them from the internet, and it is still happening, does anyone know what to do, or any technical support?

I have the same problem but on startup. Tried changing cables, turning off all the other devices ect and nothing seems to work. Plugged in my PS3 and no issues with the system.

It appears to be an issue with 4K audio in the XBox because it doesn't happen when I disable the 4K settings. 4K capability was the main reason for buying the thing in the first place.

Not fit for purpose Microsoft.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I second this. Happened on two different One X consoles and not on my slim. Microsoft needs to fix this

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having a similar issue with a brand-new One X bought in June 2019.

I connected a regular, simple 3.5 mm headset without a microphone, to the controller and used it to watch movies on Netflix.

I noticed some cracking/popping sounds when switching between movies. Pausing a movie also results in a weird sound right when audio playback stops. Watching a movie without performing any actions is fine, no extra noises.

It might be an issue that Netflix can fix, but I feel it's rooted in the Xbox platform. I think apps should just work fine, and not have to worry about solving such low-level issues. Moreover, I've used Netflix on 5 different platforms, and I've never noticed this issue elsewhere.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And surely and the cable

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2024 Views 15,195 Applies to: