Audio is fadeing in and out.

Hi all,

I seem to have a problem with the audio, It tends to keep either fadeing in or out, or doesnt come on at all, ive tried unplugging the cables etc... It doesnt make any difference. It has only just began doing it, and I have had no problems with it before.

Examples of when this happens:

1) Load xbox up, gos to dashboard, sounds usually working fine when scrolling up and down etc at dashboard,  put in Forza 3 seems to work fine, music in the menus works fine, start a race, then the sound cuts off completely or fades in and out. (I noticed that the sound usually fades out when in the shade, on all tracks?!?!)

2)Same as above, but with a different game, black ops sound fades out and in, or works for a bit then cuts off.

3)Same as above, with black ops, sound kind of works, but you only here gun sound effects, and no running or speech sound effects etc?

3)Then the fourth example, is that you turn the xbox on, then the sound doesnt work at all.

Cables

Im useing microsofts HDMI cable to link from the xbox to the TV (which has HDMI)

(Ive used the SCART cables to see if the sound works whilst playing through them, which it does, which led me to beleive that it could be a HDMI problem, maybe).

Xbox

I have a 20 Gig xbox, so im guessing its an old model.

Errors or codes

None.

Hopefully someone can help me out as its really annoying!!

Thanks in advance!

Shrews   :) 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 40 Applies to:

Thanks for the quick reply,

Unfortunately I dont have another HDMI cable to test it with, and I dont really want to be buying another one if theres nothing wrong with the old one...

Any other suggestions?!?, (otherwise I will have to buy a new cable and try it).

Thanks in advance!

Shrews     :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, a second HDMI cable didnt work for me either...

Before I register for a repair can someone give me a rough idea of how much it will cost, because if its a ridiculous price, I will just buy a newer xbox model instead...

Also how can you assure me that it wont happen again, when I buy a newer model or get my current box repaired...

Thanks in advance!

Shrews  :)

Sorry this didn't help.

HDMI cable is NOT the problem.  Connected my 360 S via second HDMI cable - worked for awhile - then did the same thing (short loud hum then silence).  My console had been working fine for over 1 year and now a repeat 2 days in a row.  A/V cables work fine.  Firmly believe this is a xBox 360 console HDMI Port related issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? It sounds like a different cable would help, so please let us know if you're able to try a different HDMI cable. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same thing happen to me on Sunday, Oct. 5 while playing Forza 3 on newer 250GB xBox 360 S.  A load second or 2 hum, followed by a pop, and then silence.  After turning the unit off and back on, the sound would then alternate during game play only between silence to audio acceleration cutting in and out.  As unlikely as it may seem, I did try a different HDMI cable as Miss Portia suggested and mine is now behaving normal again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Aragorn, if a different cable type is not producing the same issue, then I think you're right in thinking your issue is with the HDMI port. In order to rectify the issue, you'll want to set up an official repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestion on the HDMI cable.  Unplugged mine, plugged it back in....audio's back to normal.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey OP, the repair set up online costs around $99, and it includes a new warranty when the console returns.

Sorry this didn't help.