Audio delay when using Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound

OK so there is an audio delay when using Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when playing my xbox 360 which is connected to my brand new Samsung Series 8 3D LED HDTV via HDMI. It appears that others have had this problem and the solution is to set to "stereo" via the xbox's dashboard settings but then I will only get 2 channel audio and I want the full 5.1 surround sound without the delay.

Now the obvious solutions can be knocked off because I am quite technologically knowledgeable.

I have already tried configuring the "A/V sync" setting on my Sony home theatre (bdv-e370 if anyone wants the exact model), but that just creates an even longer delay. Likewise, adjusting my TV's "audio delay" setting just creates a longer delay. Unfortunately there is no negative integer value which would allow me to create a "predict" rather than a delay. I also realize that it may be rather redundant to be running both optical AND hdmi (because hdmi carries both video and audio signals) from my tv to my home theatre but without the optical my tv doesn't seem to be able to use the external speakers (my home theatre) and I need the hdmi so I can still watch Blu-Rays, so I need the video signal.

So in short, I want fully 5.1 surround sound without a delay connected to my tv via HDMI.

Here is the full setup:

Xbox 360 to TV via HDMI.

TV's optical out to home theatre's optical in.

TV to home theatre via HDMI 1.4b (for 3D).

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

NOT All T.V's support Dolby Dighital 5.1

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.