Are You Kidding!

OK, so cant update my xbox, and therefore cant play online.

Code it C000-0001 which by there eyes is I've modded my Xbox. Ok yes I"ve got a new drive(cause XBOX told me it would cost 150$ compared to 20$), but I have never modded, never bought or downloaded a stolen game, and I've been a XBOX live custumer since day one (look me up E mortal)

Now I cant get help, cant get online, what support tells me (all the way up past manager) is to buy a new XBOX, are you kidding! I've been playing/paying XBOX live since day one, paid for over 50+games.

In my eyes I've got a car, got an oil change at the local oil place, and my car stoped working 1 year later, and the dealer told me just to buy a new car.

Thats my rant, hope everone else isnt dealing with the same issue, cause I know your pain!!

E mortal

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

cant update, Xbox thinks I've modded, which I havent, So they wont let me online, there idea, buy a new xbox! ARE YOU KIDDING!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Technically, you have modded your console.

Installing a new disc drive is modifying the original equipment. Although you haven't inserted any special chips or custom OS, it still counts that as a mod.

It's really a bad move on Microsofts part, having something like this treated like such,  but all they can tell from their end is that the console has been opened and tampered with.

Sorry dude...

Sorry this didn't help.

I wonder how you would feel if someone had modified your Intellectual Property?  You may have bought an XBox but you do not actually own any of the components inside the "box" itself and therefore have no right to alter it in any way.  There are laws to protect the owners of IP's and you could, technically, face criminal prosecution for your actions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Prosecutions? Oh please don't over exaggerate.

Sorry this didn't help.

Not exaggerating, found this post that answers your complaint and also backs up my statement.  You (Assassinator) may want to take the advice in my signature.

Anyway, read this post:

Removing the old HDDs from their casing, for use in a 360 S console or other reason, is against the ToU, hardware tampering and modification. At no time is this tolerated. Modifying your hardware can lead to account suspensions or console bans.

In addition, we will not tolerate this type of discussion on the forums. If you are found discussing this practice, you will be suspended or banned from the forums.

From the Terms of Use:

12.  Service Operation and Equipment.

Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft.  Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep. Sorry to say but you HAVE modified your console. Nothing you can do about it except not do it in the future.

Sorry this didn't help.

As an IT support professional, simply replacing a failed HDD with another compatible industry standard model should not be construed as modifying nor would it need to be if MS included suitable system tools to format the replacement HDD with their proprietary console HDD format.

As much as I like the 360 platform (it's my preferred console), this is plain & simple a money grab to force consumers to buy over-priced hardware (ie. standard PC/laptop parts in custom MS cases).

This is one area where I feel that Sony's PS3 design is superior to MS's 360 platform. Let me head of the PS3 haters by saying that Sony's network security on the other hand is NOT superior to MS's XBL platform (based on known information at this time).

Avid Techno-geek & gamer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Knowitall, I did not Modify any part of my console, I replaced the DVD drive that runs the games, not the HDD. I'm on my third console (2 had died due to red ring of death)

Maybe they should have giving me a new XBOX instead of the faulty one they had given me. If they had I would not be in this postion now. I see it as if my home computers dvd drive stoped working, I would go out and get a new one. In this case MS told me a new drive would be 150$ plus taxes, so instead I got a new drive for 20$

Sorry this didn't help.

What's being consistently overlooked is that Microsoft has spent millions, if not billions, researching, designing, testing and producing a product that they own the patents and all associated content for.  They are simply trying to protect this investment.  Put yourself in their shoes for a moment and think about how you would feel if you had put time, money and energy into a product only to have someone come along and essentially "piggyback" on your hard work.

The facts of the matter are that Microsoft has produced a consumer product at their expense, they are protecting this investment and product with a ToU and CoC, you must agree to said Terms and Code if you wish to use this product online, failure to do so can have undesirable consequences for the user, users are responsible for their own actions and negative consequences of not following a contract that they agreed to.

If the user disagrees with Microsofts rules or business practices, they are free to buy any other product they desire, no one is forcing them to buy an XBox.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Soo..... you modded your console unknowingly still counts as modding.

Sorry this didn't help.