Are games becoming too hard or are gamers just getting lazier and stupider ?

Yes you read this right.

Heres just some  examples.

"Brink has a large learning curve"

"The bosses on Duke Nukem forever can kill you in only a few hits"

"Brinks controls are too fiddly I mean holding a button rather than clicking the left thumbstick down to run is impractical"

"Splatterhouse has unfair difficultcy spikes that most people won't get past"

"Splatterhouse needs a tutorial level with more depth to teach you to play"

"Brutal Legend's controls are too fiddly"

"The hardest setting on Earth Defence force is impossible"

"Portal 2 is too hard for people to understand"

"Comic jumper , Too hard for most gamers so don't bother with it"

"mega man 9 only true uber gamers may apply"

"Megaman 10 Easy mode, the only way any-one has a hope of finishing the game"

So I put it to you

Are games becoming too hard or are players becoming stupid and or lazy as the developers give them easy wins and spoon feed them step by step everything they have to do, and then draw them a map of how to do it on anything that hasn't already been expressely told to you ?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm getting stupid with old age and I'm only 21.

If any of this is true I worry for the success of Dark Souls coming soon. I really want the game to succeed because its supposed to be a very tough game and thats exactly what im looking for in that genre right now.

This is what difficulty levels are there for though, however I think that some problems may be arising from some people thinking they are great at games and starting a game at a level or 2 above what difficulty they actually should be. Im a fan (the theory of it anyway) of games adapting their difficulty on the fly as to how well your doing, though I do appreciate its very hard to do well I expect.

Most of the problems I experience in games are due to the lack of good control systems though, I generally pick the right difficulty level for myself (im an average player so generally pick a medium level of difficulty as I usually play for the experience rather than anything else) and also game mechanis probblems rather than actual game difficulty. Both however lead to frustrating gameplay.

[quote user="Azrael008uk"]

[quote user="hobblejp"]Are games becoming too hard or are players becoming stupid and or lazy as the developers give them easy wins and spoon feed them step by step everything they have to do, and then draw them a map of how to do it on anything that hasn't already been expressely told to you ?[/quote]

You live in a MacDonalds generation with a MacDonalds attitude to gaming.

The internet gives you any information you want immediately.

Your mobile phone means you don't have to wait to talk to a friend.

You get your TV - On Demand.  Your films - On Demand.  Your shopping - On Demand.

You're taught not to buy something when you can afford it but rather to Buy Now - Pay Later.

Gamers today have grown up with different expectations than the ones before them.

It's not that they don't 'like' a challenge.

It's just that they often don't have the patience for one.

That's not so much their fault as the direction our culture has moved towards.

Az

[/quote]

There is some truth to this, although being 30 myself and missing that generation I still find games more difficult.  However, that's probably more to do with my age than anything else.

[quote user="SuperSoldier uk"]

Are games becoming too hard or are players becoming stupid and or lazy as the developers give them easy wins and spoon feed them step by step everything they have to do, and then draw them a map of how to do it on anything that hasn't already been expressely told to you ?

You say games are too hard then you say developers are making them too easy?

[/quote]

its a question,

are games becoming too hard ?

Or is it a case of gamer becoming stupid and Lazy and relying on developers to spoon feed them ?

Well we have always had hard games and easy games, also have to factor in personal strengths in games.  For instance, I found Brutal Legend a fun but very easy to play game.  Portal 2 is a case of having a eye for puzzles and a sense of trajectory.  For me, I had no issues with it on my PC. All about the player.

I do feel in general that games are easier than they used to be. All to do with the ego shooter generation that has been thrust upon us. To many do a sort and painful single player to skip to online, annoyingly.

But I always put the point forward for some of us older gamers on difficulty - Have we played for so long that we know the rhythm of games so well that its like muscle memory ?.

normally i play games on easy/ normal i don't play games to struggle through them i play them to enjoy them.

i haven't found a game i couldn't do on easy that i liked. however if i find the game boring, then i find it hard because i force myself to finish it and i struggle to get through the game. not because it is actually hard but because its not holding my attention. GTA4 was one of those games. (i am on the last island got like 10 missions until the end but can not force myself to finish it)

You say games are too hard then you say developers are making them too easy?

Older games are harder, gamers might just find certain games boring doesn't make them lazy

I play most games on the hardest difficultly without problems accept some games for example CODs and HALOs

No i just completed Red fraction on insane and found it easy!

I'm doing vanquish on hard breezed through the hole game but this end boss is a real pain been trying to do it for 2 hours and always die near the end :@

Well, we'll talk after Dark Souls. :P