Apps crash, won't load, system won't turn off

After using the system for a few hours, whatever I am doing, whether it's a game or an app, will crash. Upon restarting the app, the crashes will happen more and more frequently until eventually they won't even start up at all and will crash after hanging on the logo for a while. Same thing happens for basic console functions like the friends "app" and achievements "app".

I'll walk up to the system to press the button to power it off, but the light will blink on and off slowly for a few seconds, and then stay on. The Kinect light and Controller light also stay on. No video is sent to the tv. Pressing the power button on the controller or Xbox during this state does nothing - system is effectively bricked. One time I tried to say "Xbox on" but the Kinect light shut off as soon as I started talking, and turned on a few seconds later. What the hell is up with that?

Unplugging the PSU is the only thing that works at this state. After that it does the long boot and I can run games and apps normally for another few hours.

What on EARTH is going on...

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

I am suddenly having a similar issue. I was in avatar editor and was going to take a gamerpic with it. It stopped showing my avatar, only background, exited and came back and it only showed black, no background. Next, I hit B until I exited and it showed the friends app sign, but no video after that, just black screen. I can turn system on and off manually, but just a black screen. I am extremely worried. Does this have anything to do with the update?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

^That's not QUITE the same as my issue, if a support person reads this I'd like an answer to my problem instead of making this a general "help my xbox is totally FUBAR" thread.

But it really does suck. And I don't think it has anything to do with the update because the update hasn't hit yet. :(

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.