Another new Xbox!Family Gold subscription confusion attempting to recover gamertag. Help please.

Hello all!

This is our third xbox now, the new slim. Really about 6 incarnations if you include previous repairs done to other consoles before we gave up the ghost on them .

Anyway, our 120gb elite packed up and seemed more sensible to get the new 250gb with kinect and a renewed warranty rather than spend another £100ish to fix the problem assoiated with the 120gb, only to have it likely break again, as has been our experience with these products since our early adoption years ago

So, the issue at hand, We have a family gold subscription. My son and myself have gamertags on that. His gamertag acts as the parent account, as it came through that way when I paid for it online. No big deal so far. He has succesfully recovered his gamertag on the new slim (i'm using the account here now to write this) and I can see myself in his menus etc when on his account on the xbox. Good stuff so far.

However, I cant get into my windows live account on my pc so I don't know how i am going to be able to recover my gamertag on the xbox. I've input almost any variation of my password I can think of that is for my windows live id (on a pc) but to no avail.

Usually something like this would be simple enough to remedy, but the crux of the matter for me is that I daren't go into the reset password option given to me on the windows live site for one simple reason: the email/windowslive id assoiated with me here is one of those crazy autogenerated ones they gave out when I created my gamertag on the family gold subscription (eg: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***). If I go throught to reset password I'm afraid I'll simply have an autobot send me a reset link to this stupid email address, which obviously is no help at all!

Can someone shed some light on this please? Will I be able to reset my password, or gain access someway? What to do?

PS:I could, I suppose, take off my old 120gb hard drive, attach it to a friends console, transfer data to usb stick and then onto the new slim (or, similarly even gat a data transfer cable) but am not even sure this would work as the my sons main gamertag has been already recovered to the new console. Nevertheless, some help on getting into my silly windows live id would be the best bet for me.

Thanks ever so much, in advance!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Unfortunately the only method of recovery is via the password recovery links on live.com. It's worth a shot, though I would not attempt to recover your account to the console until you have the proper credentials and can log in without issue on xbox.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.