Another headset adaptor issue

I have a strange problem with the Xbox One Headset Adaptor. Before I get started, I've applied the firmware update to the controlled as per the setup process and I'm using a pair of Tritton AX360 5.1 Surround Headphones connected via the SP/DIF connection for game audio and the 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack converter supplied with the headset adaptor into the adaptor itself for mic audio. 

So the weird thing is that I can hear game audio and other users can hear me through the mic, but I can't hear the chat audio. If I disconnect the mic, the chat audio then comes through fine, but obviously I now can't use the mic. I'm guessing that the adaptor is detecting the mic being plugged in and then incorrectly deciding to root chat audio out through the mic output which clearly won't work because I'm only using this for chat. 

I've also seen some articles suggesting that I need to turn the chat audio up by holding down the chat audio button and waiting for a beep, then hitting the volume up button on the headset adaptor. But when I hold down the chat audio button, I don't ever hear a beep, and the volume control buttons don't seem to do anything....

What gives?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 240 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thinking further about this, I'm using the mic for voice input but need chat audio to be routed via the SP/DIF output. Is that a supported setup? Previously on the 360 I needed to setup the sound to always play chat audio via the system speakers.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Vascaz! That is definitely a supported setup, since many (if not most) surround headsets feed the chat audio through the main speaker. This link contains more info on that: support.xbox.com/.../connect-compatible-headset

On your original problem, it sounds like your game/chat audio balance is a bit out-of-whack when using the adapter. If you look at the adapter (as pictured in the link) the two buttons at the left control the balance. If you press the top button (controller with "+" in the middle) this will increase game audio and decrease chat audio, until chat is completely turned down. To fix that, just press the bottom button (little person with "+") until the chat audio becomes noticeable.

That's not to guarantee this is the problem you are seeing, but it's a good first place to check! Hope this helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately I've already tried that and, as per my comment in the original post, when I hit the Chat Audio button I never get a beep when holding down the button. In fact, it's as if hitting the button makes no difference at all. Should I expect the game audio volume to decrease when I hit that button? Neither the Game Audio of Chat Audio buttons seems to do anything at all. I do notice that when I plug in the mic cable to the headset adaptor that the game audio decreases which is consistent with the documentation which says that the default is for the Game/Chat audio balance being 50/50. So it's as if I'm getting 50/0 and hitting either button results in nothing happening.

Maybe I've got a defective unit?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm... that is a possibility.... I have a pair of Tritton headphones myself, and I'm wondering (again, this might not be your issue, but it's worth a check) on MY unit, the little box where the audio cable plugs in (the cable that goes to the chat adapter) has two volume wheels on it (this picture here:

This is consistent with the AX720 and 720+ models, but I'm not sure about the setup of your headphones. If you have one of these little controllers, one side is for game audio, and the other side is for chat audio. Could it be possible that the chat/voice volume side has gotten cranked down all the way, so that even though the chat adapter is adjusted properly, the actual headphones have been turned down/muted? This would result in the behavior you're describing - the game volume is there, the chat audio is muted, and no beeps are heard from the buttons, etc.

Just throwing some ideas out there, sorry if this doesn't help! I would suggest, if this doesn't help, you might also try your adapter using a different controller (at a friend's house or something.) If the adapter doesn't work again, then it definitely sounds like a bad adapter.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for the reply. Unfortunately my headset had volume controls for front, centre and rear but nothing for chat. Even with everything turned up the problem remains. I've also tried with a separate controller but same issue. Next port of call is to replace from best buy and see if that resolved. Unfortunately the adaptor is still larger sold out so will take a while to confirm.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think that's your next best move. Like you said, it'll take a while since they're so scarce, but I'll follow this thread, so give me a heads-up when you have a chance to get a replacement - I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same issue with my TB X41'S. game audio high and can hardly hear party. This was playing Titanfall.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem. It appears to possibly be a broken chat lead, as I checked it with my Xbox 360, with chat audio just coming through the mic, and found that I could not hear chat audio through it still, but people could hear me.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think that sounds like a slightly different issue. I don't get any chat audio at all once a mic cable is plugged in. I've tried a few mic cables and the problem is totally consistent. I'm waiting to test out whether I've got a defective unit here but am having to wait due to the stock shortages. My gut feeling is that this is actually a software issue. The fact that chat audio plays through the headset before a mic is plugged in, then cuts out as soon as the mic is plugged in means that the adaptor is detecting the mic and then incorrectly cutting out the chat audio.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok - so I managed to pick up a replacement adaptor to check if this was a hardware fault. Exactly the same issue with the replacement adaptor.

So I think this is a software fault - I plug the mic cable into the adaptor and it decides to cut party chat audio out on the SP/DIF out. Looks like that's two units being taken back as defective!

Sorry this didn't help.