http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes very excited, in a broken link!

I can totally understand why you are tired of the debate. I'm tired of it too. However, I do like reading peoples take on the technical specifications and some proper deep dives into the tech. Digital Foundry aren't perfect, because a lot of the time they have to make 'leaps of faith' about the hardware, because they don't have all the data. But on the whole they aren't too bad when they are given the data. It's an interesting read, but for some reason your link is broken, even though the URL is spot on. I'll try re-post it for you:

www.eurogamer.net/.../digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects

[quote user="SirAngry"]

I can totally understand why you are tired of the debate. I'm tired of it too. However, I do like reading peoples take on the technical specifications and some proper deep dives into the tech. Digital Foundry aren't perfect, because a lot of the time they have to make 'leaps of faith' about the hardware, because they don't have all the data. But on the whole they aren't too bad when they are given the data. It's an interesting read, but for some reason your link is broken, even though the URL is spot on. I'll try re-post it for you:

www.eurogamer.net/.../digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects

[/quote]Cheers! not sure why the original link ain't working

In regards to the article - i've tried making sense of it, but its just numbers to me, I already see the usual influx of 'PR b******' comments coming thick and fast - if only I had the technical knowledge to agree/disagree one way or the other! does make me laugh how so many people seem to think they know more about software design than Microsoft's own engineers, but hey ho, such is life on 'teh interwebz'  

What even Sony designers?

What I can say from my own perspective Neurotic Hog is that I was pretty much bang on about those '15 extra co-processors' everyone has been going on about in the Xbox One. They aren't a count individual 'chips', but individual 'cores' on those chips. Thing is, Sony also have similar levels of silicon offloading tasks away from their two main components, the CPU and GPU, hell there is even a quite potent ARM based CPU there to handle a lot of the OS functions and multimedia stuff in the background without even tasking the main Jaguar based CPU. There are other minor bits and bobs too. I don't think everything the MS representative had to say in the article was PR BS, but obviously he's trying to put a positive spin on things. I wouldn't expect him to openly acknowledge that the PS4 has the clear advantage on GPU.

I found the stuff regarding the sound chip interesting, specifically that a good chunk of it is used for voice chat. Well again there's hardware inside the PS4 that handles that specific function too. Then there's another good chunk of it used for the voice recognition stuff with the Kinnect. Truth told that doesn't leave too much available for game use... but still it's a nice addition for sound engineers, and it's nice to see 'their' art-form get some love.The truth is nobody really knows what the PS Eye has inside it, and whether it too has its own memory and co-processors... because Sony haven't said a word about it. I happen to doubt it, but there is the fact that they seem very keen on small MIPS based CPU's at Sony right now, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they've included on in the PS Eye. My gut though? If you are utilising PS Eye your probably taking up 2 GPU cores leaving 16 for game functions.

However, it is yet again an interesting pointer to where MS are over this whole spec 'thing' mentally. The fact that they are yet again talking about Sony's system, and not actually understanding it, and often misrepresenting Sony's architecture and how it works tells me they are scared they've left a performance gap to their closest opponents... and considering they won't drop it, and continue to try and spin it tells me that it just might be significant. I think right now that Microsoft have got enough about their architecture out in the open, and that maybe they should just stop now. They've done what journalists and customers alike asked them too. Just focus on the games and the performance of the hardware in game functions, let the software do the talking like they keep saying they are going to, because on paper, they aren't going to win the argument.

@ Mr Hog ...

We've spoke about it when in Party Chat.

Now I'm not for one second bashing people that do like these sort of articles but for me, one I just don't understand it all even when someone does their best to explain it to me lol.

And finally it just doesn't bother me. What console can do this, what one can't. It was more or less the same sort of thing not long before the 360 and PS3 were released.

I've always said I believe there will be some stunning games on both next gen consoles and for me personally I just can't wait to start playing the likes of Forza 5, Watchdogs, Battlefield 4 etc etc etc on next gen, once I am playing them on whatever console I certainly won't be thinking things like  ...... "I wonder if it's better on the 'other' console" ... like I said I really don't care.

I do all the time tho. Wonder when im playing on 360 if it would look better on ps3 or vise versa.

[quote user="NEUROTIC HOG"]In regards to the article - i've tried making sense of it, but its just numbers to me,[/quote]The short version is that the Xbox One is to consoles as nVidia is to graphics cards.

nVidia focuses on consistent framerates and more importantly, consistent frame latency. This is borne out by benchmark testing, both in single and multi GPU setups.

AMD/ATI, on the other hand, just chuck hardware at a problem and hope it will stick. It wasn't until late 2011 that someone clued AMD into fundamental problems with their GPU scaling. Since then, it has come to light that AMD never took frame pacing into account. They won past benchmarks because typical software benchmark tools cannot "see" the whole story. They lose on actual smoothness and frame rate increase. And if you think this is just a multi-GPU problem, they've had issues with their single GPU parts as well.

Meanwhile, nVidia's been working on the frame pacing issue since 2006 starting with the G80.

MS has evolved the 360 design, removing bottlenecks, tweaking aspects of the eDRAM that every dev is now familiar with. Sony just chucked a bunch of off the shelf parts in a box based off AMD's promise, the same AMD that didn't know there was a frame pacing issue until nVidia's FCAT tools showed it to them.

From where I sit, MS has a very involved team that has worked to alleviate bottlenecks and remove responsibilities of the GPU for things not GPU-like (sound, memory access). Sony has a guy who believes AMD's more-CUs-is-better BS.

If I found myself doing that, I'd probably consider taking the game back for a refund as its obviously not holding my attention!  I'm not really a specs person either, I just go on 'do the games look good.. Yes or no?

What I find curious is how you can't seem to have a conversation concerning the specs of your console of choice on certain sites without someone mentioning that a rival system can do that as well? I mean, If I want to talk about what my potential purchase is capable of and its specs. Why do I want to know that something else can do that as well? That's great and all but i wasn't asking about rival products because I'm not buying either of those am I?

I don't think the article changes my mind much. The PS4 is the most powerful console in terms of hardware. That said the practical difference is not going to be immense. I do think  the X1 has some clear advantages over the PS4 that MS don't seem to be doing a good job of advertising.

Such as The Kinect, The TV functionality, The GUI, The online functionality and the cloud (whatever that is)... Sony have been trying to bridge some of the gaps and have so far been unchallenged by MS...

Maybe this article hands the battle to Sony, but the war has only begun...