Annoying Power Supply problem.

Hi !

So yesterday i was playing Skyrim,  after about 3 hours of playing a grinding sound started.  I tought it was from the console, but i've came closer to it and i've noticed that it was from the Power Supply. 

It makes me so angry... i don't even want so start my xbox again or play something. I have warranty,but i'm from Romania so i can't simply call Microsoft.

My xbox keeps making problems... Xbox live connection problems, Sign in problems, Billing Informations problems, Power supply problems, Graphics problems (in Skyrim) ... Well, only problems. I'm starting to regret that i bought an Xbox 360.

What should i do? i don't want to buy a new one, i've invested much ,much money in my xbox. Over 1000$ i think. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Well, since Romania is NOT an official Xbox Live Region, then the SIgn in problems, Connection Problems and billing problems ALL stem from this.  

Skyrim does have some graphical bugs and glitches in it, this is not the fault of MS though.

Have you tried a different power supply? It could be the power supply is faulty or is deing. Try using a freinds power cord (if available) to see if the problem persists. You could always try buying a used power supply (they are pretty cheap compared to a new power supply or a new console.)

You can always contact support through email and the website in order to process a warranty repair, if you are unable to find a more local MS customer service phone number. (COuld even try calling the Greek, Hungray, or Poland customer service numbers)

I simply hate this country.

But opening the supply and cleaning the fan with compressed air isn't a solution?

There's a official shop named "Altex" (i bought the console from here) , they also offered me the warranty. Do you think they can help me? This shop is almost 100 miles away from me.

You could try some self fixes on the power supply yes. It could be the fan in the supply, or something in there gunking it up. I would NOT recommend doing anything to the console itself, but if you can get the power box open, can always try to clean around the vents and other parts in it with air or rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs.

The store you bought it from MIGHT be able to replace the console and/or power supply if it is within that stores policie regarding defective merchandise or warranty exchanges. I would give them a call and verify that before making any kind of long trip just on the chance they might.

I dont think it is the console, but the power supply itself. Could just be a defective unit if you purchased it all new recently, this happens in the world of electronics often actually.

Other than all that, there isnt much more that you could do, Either try to fix the power supply yourself, see if you can buy a used/new one, or exchnage it all at the place of purchase if it is within their exchange policiy.

You have a xbox slim right? Clean the dust out of the power supply from the outside.

It usually start to get loud when it shoot out the dust. Nothing to worry about.

Sometimes a lil move helps to make it quiet.

Depends where you at.

I have dry dust and high humidity, it happens that the slim power supply has issues.

The normal 360 power supply work better. Sadly you can´t use it for the slim...

If it get loud and then stop after a while its fine.

If it make a lil noises and stop soon or never, it is going to die. 

Like I said, depends where you at. 

"standard dust" kill it most times.

[quote user="HaloJolly"]

You have a xbox slim right? Clean the dust out of the power supply from the outside.

It usually start to get loud when it shoot out the dust. Nothing to worry about.

Sometimes a lil move helps to make it quiet.

Depends where you at.

I have dry dust and high humidity, it happens that the slim power supply has issues.

The normal 360 power supply work better. Sadly you can´t use it for the slim...

If it get loud and then stop after a while its fine.

If it make a lil noises and stop soon or never, it is going to die. 

Like I said, depends where you at. 

"standard dust" kill it most times.

[/quote]

If he has a slim then thats probably not the case. Certain revisions of the slim power brick have been bad to say the least. If i remember right you have revisions A<B<C(or 1,2,3 its something simple like that)...with A actually being the best and both B and C having loud fan issues(which usually show up 2-3 months later). If you need to replace try and get a revision 1(A) its the oldest but by far the best slim power brick.

Well, i placed it somewhere behind my LCD (LCD is placed on furniture and my power supply under it. Well, Xbox is the first thing under the TV, then the Power Supply under the Xbox). So you guys were saying that it is nothing to worry about. The noise is more , more silent now. If i sit at 2 metters away from the TV (That's how i sit usually), i don't even hear it.  

Bad thing is that the power supply hasn't the same amount of "cold" air like when it was placed near the TV(like the first time), but at least it is more silent, not totally silent, but more.

I will have problems if my power supply will stay like that?

BTW, Yes, my Xbox is slim.

I've tried to clean it with a dry cloth from the outside, NO result.

Even if the noise isn't loud now, my brain focuses to hear it. And that's a bit WTF, annoying and tedious.