I came back from a week away on holiday and when I turned on the Xbox it told me that it had an update. Nothing unusual there, I have been updating the Xbox over wifi, downloading game content and even Skyrim no problems over my wifi network. The update went well and the green bar filled up and then the machine restarted. Then the problem started.
I got the message "UPDATE FAILED. A system update is required to sign in to xbox live but the update is currently unavailable" Confusing but not an issue. I will just update the machine again and all will be well, or so I thought. Here are the things I have tried -
- LB, RB, X (x2) to remove the update. Retry download of update over wifi. Went well, same error.
- Clear cache. Same error.
- Clear cache 3 times. Same error.
- LB, RB, X + Clean cache. Same error.
- Update via USB stick. Went well, same error.
- Remove hard drive, install update again over wifi and USB. Same error.
- LB, RB, X numerous times to see if it would remove even older updates. Same error.
- Plugged Xbox directly into modem. Same error.
- Disabled firewalls. Same error.
- Ran Connectivity Tests: Connection to internet is good but fails on connection to Xbox Live.
- Unplugged modem, router and xbox and plugged them back in in that order.
2 iMacs, 2 Android Phones, an iPad, an Apple TV all connect to the network and internet with no problem.
I have a ZyXEL modem router which is pretty basic. I have disabled the router side of it and only use it as a modem. I have a better router connected to it.