An old Gamertag

I have been looking into a gamertag, and I have been waiting for quiet some time. I then noticed that the account hasn't been used for over 5 years. I was wondering if I could aquire the account's gamertag.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Gamertags exist for more than one service.  They can be used for xbox, zune, or internally within Microsoft themselves.  Even though it doesn't look as though it's being used it may very well be.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately tags can't be requested. They will come available when they come available.

-

Just because it hasn't been active on Xbox doesn't mean it's not being used. Gamertags are used for number of Microsoft items-Zune, Games for Windows, etc.

-

I hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, OP, let me tell you the real problem: while the above posts are correct, the core problem is that once a tag is made...it stays made. Even if I sit down right now purchase a brand-new sub card and just randomly enter a bunch of characters for a GT it is created.  Never to be released to anyone...at least until MS decides to purge it.  You see, a tag even if it is just created for just one service and never acutally used stays in the system.  This is the reason that you cannot delete a GT in the sense most people think: they think they can "cancel" it and it will disappear from the system.  So in theory someone else can come along and reuse it, but it does not happen.  There was an annoucement some years about GTs being purged from the system for the old Xbox, but not the 360.  But to tell you the truth, I have never seen any evidence it ever happened!

Sorry this didn't help.