An Objective comparison of Xbox One and PlayStation 4

Here is an objective comparison of the Xbox One and PS4. I can't provide sources, but if you follow "Many Videogames" and "Eurogamer" on Twitter and sift through their tweets you will find them. Top 5 features of the Xbox One that PS4 cannot match: -Substantially more powerful CPU -Marginally faster RAM write speed, better quality RAM for writing (saving) -HDMI In with many multimedia applications -Established Cloud Service with 300,000 servers -Voice/Motion Controls in-package, better quality hardware in Kinect Top 5 PS4 features the Xbox One cannot match -Substantially more powerful GPU (UPDATE: Microsoft's Overclocking makes the difference marginal) -Large Indie lineup -Removable (upgradeable) HDD -Substantially faster RAM read speed (will load saves quicker), better quality RAM reading -Flagship Exclusive launches on launch day (Killzone) Can't decide? Here's a few facts: The PS4 has an interior power brick, whereas the XB1 contains an exterior brick. While this decreases space usage, it will increase noise and be more difficult to replace should the brick die. The Xbox One AND PS4 will run CoD: Ghosts 1080p 60fps (As declared by Microsoft and Sony at E3) They will both run BF4 at 900p 60fps. The PS4 will not require PS+ to use streaming apps like YouTube and Netflix. Xbox One will require Gold. Both Microsoft and Sony have declared their allegiance to Indie Studios. Sony have shown evidence with a large indie launch lineup, but Microsoft offers TWO free XB1 devkit consoles to registered Indie developers. In addition, for unregistered players who want to go developer, every Xbox One is a native devkit that can be utilised with a free development program launching on November 22. Xbox One can use SmartGlass with iOS, Android, Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and other tablets. In contrast, the PS4's Remote Play will only work with a PSVita. Both consoles require a day-one update. The PS4 costs 400USD, whereas the XB1 costs 500. In Brazil, the XB1 costs 1000USD, and the PS4 costs 1800. Yes, 1800. Wow. Neither console has region locks. The PS4 supports external hardware saves at launch. This feature will come later on Xbox One at an undisclosed date. Your data can transfer from 360 to One and from PS3 to PS4, such as trophies or game stats on cross-gens. You can upgrade a cross-Gen game from 360/PS3 to One/PS4 on both consoles for 10$. However, with Xbox you will have to visit a store to swap them. Playstation can be done digitally by internet or in store. PS4 holds 15 minutes of your last gameplay. Xbox One holds 5, but includes a video editing service. Neither console has DRM except on digital games. Both have digital DRM, but on Xbox it can be streamed from Azure at a friend's house with a connection for free. Neither console will have Third-Party headset support at launch, but in Q1 2014 the Xbox One will receive a headset adapter. No word on PS4 support.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

first of all the "substantially faster cpu" claim is up in the air because Sony has NOT confirmed what the speed of their cpu  is.  other than that I would have to agree with the overall analysis and also the current ps3 already has a video editing software that you can download so I don't think that is a feature that will be removed with the ps4.  Yes the xbox one has smart glass but it does NOT feature full remote play capability unlike the fact that EVERY ps4 game MUST have remote play ability on the Vita. Established Cloud Service I agree but how much of an actual difference that will make remains to be seen

Very well written comparison with an unbiased look at both systems. Each has their strengths and weaknesses and it's just up to each individual to determine what best suits them.

[quote user="ArmyMedic75"]

first of all the "substantially faster cpu" claim is up in the air because Sony has NOT confirmed what the speed of their cpu  is.  other than that I would have to agree with the overall analysis and also the current ps3 already has a video editing software that you can download so I don't think that is a feature that will be removed with the ps4.  Yes the xbox one has smart glass but it does NOT feature full remote play capability unlike the fact that EVERY ps4 game MUST have remote play ability on the Vita. Established Cloud Service I agree but how much of an actual difference that will make remains to be seen

[/quote]

You are correct, but frankly, the fact that Sony hasn't said anything about it indicates to me that it probably is true.

My understanding was that Vita remote play was optional, not required. Are you sure that's correct?

I am pretty sure that every ps4 game according to Yoshida must have remote play capability but if I am wrong I will recant my statement but also Submit on the same token if the Xbox One were truly more powerful than the PS4 then why would they claim that "specs don't matter" I promise with all the negative feedback that MS has recently received if it were truly more powerful then we would be hearing it constantly.

[quote user="ArmyMedic75"]

I am pretty sure that every ps4 game according to Yoshida must have remote play capability but if I am wrong I will recant my statement but also Submit on the same token if the Xbox One were truly more powerful than the PS4 then why would they claim that "specs don't matter" I promise with all the negative feedback that MS has recently received if it were truly more powerful then we would be hearing it constantly.

[/quote]

I've heard that the CPU of X1 is supposed to be better because more is allocated to gaming than the OS vs. PS4. That very well could be wrong though.

I've heard consistently that the GPU of the PS4 is superior, which is where most people make the claim that the PS4 is more powerful.

I'm largely out of my lane when talking specs, so take anything I say with a big grain of salt.

And I believe ( I'm not sure on this) the only thing that will transfer over from the 360 is your profile. MS already said nothing will work game or DLC wise. They are "working" on getting some 360 games to work.

OP, please use Shift+Enter to create spaces between paragraphs in future. It will make for easier reading. Thanks

@proneto All movies, TV Shows and Music you own on XBL will work too.

im an x1 fan and to me this reads biased towards x1.

-

a couple things that have come up in this threads:

-

1. vita remote play is strongly encouraged but not required. developers do not have to support or use it, similar to azure on x1.

2. sony has its own version of smartglass that runs on android and ios devices. no winp8 support, and likely never will be any. most winp8 users probably wont bother with a ps4.

3. as mentioned we dont know if or how substantial the cpu difference is. but we do know that the gpu difference is more then marginal even with the clock speed increases. that being said neither is so great that we should see much of a difference in graphics once both systems have been fully fleshed out. there does appear to be a developing advantage with ps4 at the moment due to their apis and tools being farther along and the x1 esram system not as widely used as the ps4 gddr5 system.

Spacing would be nice!