An issue that's been frustrating me for the past 2 years.

I've been having a problem for the past 2 years that's entirely disabled me from being able to use my hotmail account to play games for windows Live. For PC AND for Xbox 360. It's extremely frustrating because every time I call in to support there's literally nothing they can do because of policy. My friend decided it would be a good idea to create an xbox Live gamer tag with MY hotmail email address and password.. I have no idea how he got the password information, maybe he guessed it. But ever since then there's NO WAY for me to play ANY game for Xbox live games online, EVEN WHEN I OWN THEM LEGITIMATELY. Try to sign on.. it's his account with his stuff tied to it. I've changed the password and I've tried to move this account dozens of times to a new email address to get it off of my hotmail, but every time I try it says "unable to change ID's more than once every 30 days" and from what I'm told over the phone, even if I HAD managed to successfully transfer his Xbox ID and settings and everything OFF of my account, I wouldn't be able to Use my email to create my own Xbox Live ID for something like 4 years??! that is absolutely ridiculous, I've suffered so much frustration from not being to play my xbox games online for the past 2 years, and now I'm told I have to wait 4 more years to even be able to create my own Xbox Live account with MY OWN HOTMAIL email address, the one I've given out and have been using for the past 10-15 years. This is beyond frustrating. Everything would be fine if I could just use my main email (my Gmail account) to create an Xbox Live Gaming ID, but NOO that's no allowed either. I've owned every Microsoft Gaming Console to ever come out, been a loyal fan for years, and this is how I'm repayed.. in effect banned from being able to play ANY of my "Games for Xbox Live" games online because of my friends stupid mistake. I've been signing in with my Offline Profile for 2 years because of this stupid issue policy, waiting for the day that hopefully I'll actually be able to use my email to create an account and not have to create another one and start giving that one out to old friends and everyone else I may have forgotten ALL over again. There's no excuse for this. I'm left with no alternative but just to not buy ANY 'Games for Windows Live' because of this issue. Something needs to be changed policy wise, or I need to be given a special reprieve from policy and procedure because this is ABSOLUTELY unheard of from any other company. I've never had so much issue with getting a single thing done for SO long in my entire life than I have for the past 2 years trying to accomplish this simple task: "using MY email for MY OWN Xbox Live account" Been playing my 360 offline for 2 years because of this issue as well, waiting around for a fix. I have to sign into my friends account WITH MY EMAIL just to get system updates etc (thanks for adding the ability to play various media filetypes on the 360 btw, easily the only reason I even updated my 360's software at all). If there's any way ANYONE can help me resolve this, and help me get back to online gaming with "Games for Xbox Live" games, I would greatly appreciate it, you can email me at my main email: [Mod removed] and the hotmail address in question is [Mod removed]. I deeply hope this issue is resolved A LOT sooner than 4 years from the day I get his ID transferred off and finally get my email back.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Just create a new email and gamertag. It isn't too hard and would solve this problem. Plus you'd have your own account. Also, make sure to create it on the console for a free month of Gold, assuming you have one free. I know it's frustrating, but there are solutions.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote]even if I HAD managed to successfully transfer his Xbox ID and settings and everything OFF of my account, I wouldn't be able to Use my email to create my own Xbox Live ID for something like 4 years??![/quote]

That is False - Very false  and something phone support must have messed up somewhere.

Since you are able to use his account for all intensive purposes.

Are you able to update his email using this method.

support.xbox.com/.../manage-live-id

A couple other questions -

How old is his account ? Is it from the xbox 1 days?

I have 2 accounts that use gmail accounts - what error does it give you when you try to use those accounts?

Sorry this didn't help.

it stops me at "That Windows Live ID doesn't exist." whenever trying to create an xbox account with my gmail. the accounts like forever old. and yes I used it during Xbox 1 days. part of the reason why I want to keep it around because I've had it FOREVER. didn't get a 360 for a few years after it came out tho, when I went and tried to make an xbox live account for 360.. ran into this issue over and over and over.

As per the method in the link, Yes I've tried that multiple times, and I keep getting the error "You can't change your Gamertag more than once every 30 days" etc, when it hasn't been changed in like a year...

Sorry this didn't help.

There is what lies the problem - since the account is from the xbox 1 days and linked with a hotmail (back when all you could use was hotmail/msn/live) the email is in effect super locked.

This account is from then as well, I am also unable to delink my hotmail account.

But my error is always,  Your Windows Live ID can't be changed at this time. (and I just tried)

I have used this link.

account.live.com/ChangeId.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.