An Introduction To The Fanboy Phenomenon

An introduction:

The hardware differences (and more importantly, real world performance) between the One and the PS4 are, in the context of real world activities, meaningless. Further, the hardware differences between a $4000 gaming computer and a next gen console are negligible as well in a larger, real-life context. The 'console war' is more of an emergence of deeper cultural / social dynamics and consumer / producer relationships. Why such livid fanaticism over the 'correct' or 'incorrect' consumer decision? They are boxes (one tilted) that help you escape your problems in a healthier way than going to the pub (we hope). For all of the fanboys on the frontlines of every forum topic about a leak, or some corporate claim about what their box can do that the other box can't, I would be willing to bet that if you engaged in some sort of therapeutic behavior (i.e. some sort of emotional exorcism), like exercising, learning an instrument (or hell, even dropping $100 on a therapy session), you would be a much happier person than if you picked the 'correct' box. Fixating on whether or not the One's hardware will be able to queue up high res textures as well as the PS4 is most likely just another form of escape from some real-life misery you're too afraid to confront.

The fanboy phenomenon is merely an aggressive corporate loyalty that is born out of cultural attitudes (rational or dogmatic) tackling coorporate 'visions'

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="cypress2001"]

I love how everyone that writes something in opposition to my ideas (or, apparent opposition, I should say), no matter how besides the point, get's a good post rating.

I'll say it again:

Any solid community has a group nexus anchored in resonant attitudes and they usually do a pretty good job of fortifying that bond by inciting fear about any threat to that bond.

Read this thread and tell me this forum is composed of a bunch of open-minded people looking for a good discussion.

[/quote]

Didn't you know that nothing short of fanatical support for the Xbox One and Microsoft at large deserves a 5 star rating, no matter how factual or well thought out it is? Now that you've written this topic, you will be followed and every one of your posts will be one starred, even if you're speaking positively about the Xbox One.

Oh well I am out.

Good day OP :)

I love how everyone that writes something in opposition to my ideas (or, apparent opposition, I should say), no matter how besides the point, get's a good post rating.

I'll say it again:

Any solid community has a group nexus anchored in resonant attitudes and they usually do a pretty good job of fortifying that bond by inciting fear about any threat to that bond.

Read this thread and tell me this forum is composed of a bunch of open-minded people looking for a good discussion.

There's a bit of irony here, considering that the base reasoning for both your militant Microsoft support and outright disapproval of my post about fanaticism from Dogmas are both charged by the will to bond with each other.  Your support of a gaming console has more to do with social attitudes than Mb or TFlops.  Maybe 'trying to be logical' (with a bit of PR garbage here and there) is actually a social attitude rather than some genuine, willful attempt to be logical.  

Logic would have stopped the flame wars long ago.

We don't know *** about any of these systems.  Corporations lie.  Xbox one is only showing exclusives on the console and we have yet to see anything running on a retail PS4.  

It's is truly quite a phenomenon that is really at the core of the social 'foundation' for larger epistemological problems.

I paint (oil painting)

For me a game is art.

It inspires me but I can not get lost in it.

Just when I paint I can mute reality but not get lost in it.

Everyone is a fanboy... even the guy that writes the review of Xbox One after release for Forbes Magazine.  There are incentives for everyone to be particular to one console over another.  

I'm confused by the 'Jesus-like' militant passion that people have about rumors, and things they don't understand.

Sure.  Though, I'm talking about self expression.  It's difficult to let people know how sad it makes me that humans treat each other like *** all the time by forging a stick with a chainsaw on the end of it and chopping up zombies with my thumb skills ala Dead Rising.  That helps me forget about the fact that rent is due and I need to crunch numbers I'm not 100% certain that I have.  Music is a little different for me.  I get the 'demons' out that way, so to speak.

Without getting to involved...

Physically speaking, the limits of the musical world are bounded only by the instrument you are using and the culturally contingent musical attitudes you have when you approach the instrument.  The limits of a video game are pretty confined when looked at in relation to a musical scenario.  Not much room for self-expression.

I guess if me choosing Xbox because I actually enjoy the console, the games and the ergonomic controller instead of a Playstation which has a controller apparently intended for people with smurf hands makes me a fanboy, then yep I'm guilty as charged.

But video games do express emotions and thoughts in one.

Mixed up out of a lot of different minds.

I get what you mean but I think different.

Each their own :)

Interesting take.  It could just be that we're using different words to signify the same thing, but I think I see it somewhat of an opposite way than you might.  

I make art (improvising on piano is the most effective for me, I've found) to deal with real life responsibilities, much like an exorcism (not excercise).  My sadness, aggression, sentimentality and joy - all of these things that I can't find an appropriate social context to express - can be expressed to a degree with music in real-time.  

Video games, much like drugs, are not a way for me to express real-life emotion, but to escape it.

Dig?

To escape reality I prefer to do some art.

Video games are there to inspire me and relax me not to escape.

I like to play them and explore them but not with an drunk a like mind.

So you can´t say it´s most likely that we just use it to escape like you do right?

Was just wondering why you said that but now I know.

Thanks for explaining this :)