An Insight Into My Dark Soul

Ok guys, who's played it yet?

I know it's not out until tomorrow, but I've had a bit of my time with my review copy and I just want to say a few thngs :

* If you are sat on the fence, and unsure whether to buy it - get off the fence, and go buy it. It's amazing, and the most fun I've had this year I think.

* Yes, it's as hard as people are saying. It's insane. If you guys hate things like Modern Warfare on Veteran, then don't bother getting this. It makes them look easy. Ninja Gaiden hard? Time will tell when people get further into the game.

* Lots are asking if it's similar to Dragon Age. Yes, to a certain extent. But its more free-flowing and not as stat/questlog orientated.

I've probably played about 5 hours into it now, and I've only probably explored an hours worth of content? The rest of the time has been dying, and redoing. Lol. That doesn't sound like fun, but it is.

The back of the game box sums it up for me. It tells you it's insanely hard. It tells you your gonna die. But, and it gets this spot on, it basically says : "It's that hard, that when you do something, you'll actually feel a sense of achievement." And it's right, because you do.

So,  what are opinions on it?

Oh, and how many people died at the very first mob you encounter? You know the one. I did. Lol.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm not on the fence. I'm surely on the NO side.

Challenging games I enjoy but from all I've read, including this thread, it seems more like a lesson in frustration. 

Played demon souls on the PS3 didnt like it so im with Vote on the no side of the fence on buying it. Were having a picnic its nice over here

[quote user="Lavindathar"]

Ok guys, who's played it yet?

I know it's not out until tomorrow, but I've had a bit of my time with my review copy and I just want to say a few thngs :

[/quote]

Sounds like you'd better hurry up.

The game is out tomorrow.

Who get's a "review copy" the day before the game is released?

Az

Yeah you guys keep playing the girly games leave dark souls to the men, im certainly getting it.

I love Az <3

@AZ

The guy who's copy that was meant to turn up last week didn't. Want a pic of the "non-existant" review copy?

Here we go : api.plixi.com/.../imagefromurl

See that big bit that says "promotional copy". Why you have to believe everyone is lying I don't know. And yes it's left me short on time to get the review up, but I'll manage.

@VoteDC

Thats what makes this different. It's not frustrating. Read some other reviews, dying is part of the game, part of the fun. It's a lesson in dying, and improving. It's incredibly hard to explain. I spent 4 hours last night dying, and I didnt get pissed off once. As I said, the most fun I've had this year.

love it when people drop the line "my review copy" like its supposed to impress....will be interesting to hear views on the game from those who are trying it out because the game is a challenge, could be one of those sleeper games where its reputation will hamper its more commercial success

[quote user="Alchemist Don"]

Yeah you guys keep playing the girly games leave dark souls to the men, im certainly getting it.

[/quote]A real man however acknowledges his limitations.

I have mild arthritis in my hands and while it doesn't really effect my day to day life, it does mean I am not able to react as quickly as others. So a game which relies on the player being able to react quickly is obviously one I am not going to look favourably on.

[quote user="Lavindathar"]

@voteDC

Thats what makes this different. It's not frustrating. Read some other reviews, dying is part of the game, part of the fun. It's a lesson in dying, and improving. It's incredibly hard to explain. I spent 4 hours last night dying, and I didnt get pissed off once. As I said, the most fun I've had this year.[/quote]Having to play through a section again and again because I am unable to react quickly enough to get past it, well that sounds extremely frustrating to me.

Not meant to impress. That line was part of a side bet I had with someone, as a certian someone jumped on another certain someone for saying it.

So, I said it was just because it was that person, my friend said it wasnt. So, I dropped it.

The same person jumped on me as well. Hence why Linko loves Az.

@VoteDC - It does sound it yes, but it isn't. Thats why the game is so great. Read reviews from your fave reviewer, I'm sure it will be mentioned. It's very hard to explain, but no game that is frustrating can hit solid 9's across the board from reviewers.