All of a sudden, no sound on DVD's or HD-Dvd's?? Weird

Please forgive me but im sort of really upset, therefore I did not do extensive research on google (yet). As of all answers ive found say something as eliminating variables and checking cables, and checking settings on xbox.....some said doing reset to factory defaults but I am not ready to do that as I feel that is a last last step.

Anyhow I have no sound on DVD's or HD-DVD's. They both were working as I have been watching movies whilst working on school work so it hasnt been more than 10 days since ive watched/used these media types when it last officially worked. Games, arcade games, dashboard sounds...ALL WORK. I can even dashboard (Y) directly out of the movie(no sound) and the whoosh sound from the dashboard opening plays(have sound). No settings are saved on any of my equipment in my system, that is if I were to drop power from my system, repowering on everything wouldnt lead to a "default" no connection/device error....everything is basically bone stock settings.

What the heck is going on? I am running digital optical audio. None of my settings have been changed nor have variables been added in or settings been adjusted on receiver/equipment. I first noticed this about a week ago when I tried to play a DVD and I got no sound, i shrugged it off and blamed the DVD since everything else was working. I also notice if I select Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound in xbox settings I get zero sound what so ever, however I am currently set at digital stereo.

That is right, you read correct, sound works 100%, boot up, dashboard, clicks, games, arcade games.

DVD/HD-DVD-s =zero sound.

My next step is going to try alternate optical cables. Otherwise I am sunk on ideas....help me guys

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Welp fixed it myself.....damn that digital audio signal(s).

1. Receiver was switched off auto signal decoding. That is whatever signal is passed through to the receiver, DD 5.1 in this case, the receiver will detect and automatically play the signal. My receiver was set to a manual setting, and when the Xbox launched a DVD/HD-DVD the Digital signal was being sent through, but since it was not on AUTO it laid dormant looking for "manual" specified signal setting.

2. Same thing with Digital Stereo/Dolby Digital via xbox settings. It will try and send choice signal and if your equipment cannot decode it, no sound.

Whats nice is that my receiver makes a clicking sound when it switches/detects a new signal being sent. And when I didn't hear this sound It led me to my solution. Thanks Denon.

--Mafia Films

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.