Airport Extreme - Teredo Woes

Hello,

I am living in Chicago and currently reside in an apartment building where the internet comes through an ethernet port in the wall. I have recently purchase an Airport Extreme for my new Xbox One because my old Linksys WRT160n was outdated and refused to install any new firmware. I have been unable to connect to multiplayer for any game since I bought my Xbox One on day one because of a strict NAT. I do have a network connection which allows me to use Live however, the system always tells me that the Teredo IP cannot be found when I test multiplayer. I believe this is due to the face that when I test what my IP is, it brings up a 173 number. However, I go to my router and it says that my IP is a 192 number. I am not very savvy with this information so what is the step that I need to follow to allow this connection to work? Contact my ISP to get a private number? Do I need to say or do anything specific to get this private ISP? Does it cost additional money?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by anyone who has had a related issue. Technically my building does not condone the use of online video games however I was always able to play online games without a problem on my 360 and never experienced any lag. If you can provide clarity with this I would be grateful! I have tried every other way to get things working (UPnP, IPv6, DMZ & ports). No luck!

-DodgVipr15

On the Xbox One, if you are having issues getting into multiplayer gaming with this router, it may be blocking Teredo tunnels. This is a setting that is left unchecked by default on this router.

To allow Teredo tunnels:

Open the AirPort Admin Utility. (It is installed in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a Macintosh computer, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on computers using Windows.)

With the Utility open select your device from the menu on the left.

Select Advanced from the menu at the top.

Select the tab labeled IPv6 Firewall. (This tab will be visible only if the IPv6 Mode is set to Router or Tunnel and if the “Block incoming IPv6 connections” is checked)

Check the option to Allow Teredo tunnels.

Select Update. You can find this “Airport Utility" on a Mac or a iPad or iPhone app called airport utility.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Can you give me this for the Apple Version.

-I believe I have to go through the Airport Utility

-Select my device > Internet Tab > Internet Options

I have options for Configure IPv6 (Link-Local, Automatic, Manual) - set to automatic

IPv6 Mode (Native, Tunnel) - set to native

checkbox for  Enable IPv6 Connection Sharing - Box is checked

Do any of these need to change??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vipr,

To paint a better picture of your network setup, please reply to the bold details below. We can work from there and hopefully get this sorted.  

What Country/State/Province do you live in? 
Modem brand & model number: 
Router brand & model number: 
Wired or wireless: 
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
Who is your ISP?(Internet Service Provider):

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys I have posted a video response to this thread. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but i figured it out pretty quickly on my own the other day, and this is one of the first links that pops up when you search for this exact problem.

Let me give you a brief description of what was happening to me. I could connect to some games, and netflix, other applications... but certain things weren't working... namely Killer Instinct. My NAT type was set to open, I had a Surf Board 6121 and a newer airport extreme.

Follow this video, it should help.

www.youtube.com/watch

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2022 Views 39 Applies to: