Afraid to migrate account from Canada to US

I have a Canadian Xbox Live account and I just moved to the US. I've been thinking of migrating my account region (to make the marketplace on my box work correctly again) but I'm afraid of what might happen to my purchased content. I have many Games on Demand and a lot of Rock Band content that I don't want to lose access to. I've read the official docs and the FAQ and they're not very helpful: "No digital content is guaranteed to work after the migration" is not exactly definitive. I figure there must be people who have done a migration from Canada to the US but I haven't read about any such experiences anywhere. I would appreciate some feedback on what I can expect before I risk losing all the stuff I paid for. My main concerns are a) is my content still going to *work* after migration (can I launch my games, can I still use my add-on content), and b) will I still be able to re-download my content if I delete it. b) would be nice, but a) is absolutely essential. I would appreciate any advice, stories, or experiences. Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Hello Skippy,

I recently had an experience of this sort and I tell you that your gamer tag, Achievements, Microsoft Points and Xbox Live Gold subscription are all included in the transfer.

Only some region-locked items may not be transferred. These include games that are region locked, subscriptions to TV services that may not be available in another region (Sky, for example). Xbox Music passes will also not be ported (and you won't get a refund).

Personally I found out that you may have minor issues with your game saves, yet that depend on the amount of data stored in your console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply, Bard, I appreciate it. I could use a bit more detail though. When you say "games that are region locked" do you mean Games on Demand or disc games? And when you say they "may not be transferred" do you mean that I wouldn't be able to play them at all? That would be really bad news. Is there any way to tell whether a game is region locked? Also you don't mention add-on content at all... is there a chance of that not working as well (e.g. not being able to see my purchased songs in Rock Band, not being able to play the DLC campaigns in Borderlands 2, etc.)?

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Typically triple a game titles and downloadable content is region locked

Rock band is more to do with regionAl licenses

There is no way to tell if it is

Except for naming a few but that doesn't mean much since not all titles are known

Sometimes we suggest just creating another account or simply wait till you are back in Canada to download the content again by migrating back

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. Part of my problem is that I don't know what is meant by "region locked". Does that mean that I won't be able to launch these region locked games / use the region locked DLC if I migrate my region? Or just that I won't be able to redownload them? The first is a dealbreaker but the second isn't so bad as long as I back everything up.

Sorry this didn't help.

No just re download them

Certain games will not play in other regions like upcoming titan fall

Due to technical issues like connectivity but that is due more with non supported countries

Sorry this didn't help.