Advanced exchange program question

Hey all,

So a few weeks ago my kinect randomly bricked and stopped receiving power. There was no way to fix it so I called MS and they arranged an advanced exchange for me. It was arranged on 3/26, and everything went smoothly. I received the new Kinect on 4/2 and it works flawlessly. On that same day I slapped the return label on the box and sent my old kinect back. According to the tracking number, they received it yesterday (4/8), but they still haven't took the hold off my card. I called support and asked them why they haven't took it off and they said it is still within the time frame of them not scanning it into the system. The lady said she put the tracking number onto my account as a reference that I sent it back. She said I should be fine and wait until Friday (4/11) to see if they take the hold off. So obviously I shouldn't be worrying about this, but all these posts from people who went through the exchange on these forums can say otherwise. I have seen so many people being charged, even though they sent their product back to MS. I don't know, maybe it could be my anxiety taking over. So my question is to those of you who did the exchange; how long did it take MS to take the hold off your cards after they received your defective/broken product?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 48 Applies to:
Answer

As someone who went through the same thing, and knows someone that works there, let me lay it out for you.

When you send your component back, it gets scanned in at the service center loading dock, i.e. they scan the code on the shipping label and that tells them to shuffle it off to the "Kinect department".  They will pop it open, verify the serial number and then update the repair order.  This whole process, from the point it's received on the dock and then checked in the appropriate warehouse, can take anywhere from 4-7 days.

Now the actual charge, even though they tell you 15 days, doesn't actually go through until about 30 days.  MS knows that things happen and they give you a lot of leeway.  The posts from others on the forums are just one side of the convo.  And that 15 days doesn't even start until you receive the new unit, so you have until 4/17 before you even get the warning email, which you'll probably never see because they'll have it checked in long before that.

And good on you remember to get your return shipping tracking number.  With that in your possession you're golden.  Good luck, not that you need it.  :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.