acquiring an unused gamer tag

Hi,

I'd like to use an old gamertag that looks to be unused, and I believe has been for several years. I have sent messages to the gamertag with no response over the past two years, so I am pretty sure it is no longer in use. Contacting customer service, I was told that old gamer tags sometimes get recycled and thus become available again, but there wasn't anythng they could do about it. They suggested I post here on these forums.  If anyone knows how to proceed, I'd greatly appreciate it. By the way, the gamertag is "Kiehtan".

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

theres nothing else you can do but wait when it gets recycled then change your gamertag to it but there is nothing you can do but wait there is known time for gamertags to reset

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Here's a snippet from our Guide regarding GTs:

I can't change my Gamertag (GT).
Just because you can't friend request a GT doesn't mean it is available. First of all, all GT are tied to services like Zune or Games for Windows LIVE. If a GT doesn't exist on Xbox, it might be in use on one of those services. Also, spaces and capitalization are not considered when looking for available GTs. For example, "Major Nelson" is the same as "MajorNelson" is the same as "MaJoR nElSoN". Basically if the service says the GT isn't available, it isn't available.

I heard old GTs are being re-added. When will "This GT" be available?
There is no schedule or estimated dates for when certain GTs will become available again. GTs are not an on-demand service. They will be available when they are available.  

Sorry this didn't help.

So if it is no longer in use, I have to hope it gets recycled, which could happen at any time.

Now, if it is in use, but on another service, how would I go about contacting that individual? It is possible that'd be willing to sell the gamer tag, but if I can't contact them, I cant make the offer.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd stop right there if I were you. Buying and selling GTs is a bannable offence.

Sorry this didn't help.