Accused of theft and fraud

At the beginning of November my account was accessed and several 100 pounds worth of games were bought using my credit card and paypal account, a couple of xbox live subscriptions were also purchased despite me only recently renewing for 12 months

the extra subscriptions were cancelled automatically by X Box but they allowed the game purchases to stand

none of the disputed games were downloaded, installed or played on my console and when I realised the bogus transactions paypal refunded my credit card straight away

today I get this rubbish from X box live enforcement

Marketplace Theft 
11/21/2017, 2:39:20 AM

Under Review
Enforcement Detail :-
This account
engaged in marketplace theft. This activity may include attempts to
illegitimately acquire or use redemption codes, sharing or distributing
account credentials, fraudulent transferring of content licenses, using
glitches for financial gain, or other attempts to defraud Microsoft or
support agents. For more information, visit:
https://enforcement.xbox.com/Home/StaySafe#topic6. This enforcement
affects the account's Xbox Live privileges until 12/5/2017, 6:39:20 AM.

I'm really not happy about being accused of theft and fraud, nor am I happy about my xbox account being banned

Surely if I have committed an act of theft or fraud I should have had a visit from the police ?

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you did a dispute through paypal then that would be a reason for the ban. 

If Xbox told you no in regards to a refund on those games and then you went to paypal afterwards and did a payment dispute that would be considered marketplace theft. 

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

If you did a dispute through paypal then that would be a reason for the ban. 

If Xbox told you no in regards to a refund on those games and then you went to paypal afterwards and did a payment dispute that would be considered marketplace theft. 

I did a dispute through paypal as they were the ones that took payment and this is where I was first aware of the unauthorised transactions, at no point did I contact Xbox marketplace so they haven't at any point told me no to a refund

the transactions were fraudulent, almost 400 quids worth and they bore no resemblance to my usual purchase activity which is just an annual charge for my xbox live account

here are the details of one of the disputed transactions

Payment details

Gross Amount
£59.99 GBP

PayPal Fee
£0.00 GBP

Net Amount
£59.99 GBP

Reason
  • Payout of buyer spoof unauth
Paid by

PayPal

Funding details

Funding source: Credit Card
Funding Source: £59.99 GBP - MCARD ending in x-4745
PAYPAL *MICROSOFT STORE

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

if you think your account has been compromised you need to contact support not just paypal if you did and the game purchases were made by a family member and then you disputed it thru paypal that is marketplace theft

Also should be noted marketplace theft doesn't prevent multiplayer access only purchasea until your suspensjon is over

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

if you think your account has been compromised you need to contact support not just paypal if you did and the game purchases were made by a family member and then you disputed it thru paypal that is marketplace theft

Also should be noted marketplace theft doesn't prevent multiplayer access only purchasea until your suspensjon is over

the first I knew of anything wrong was when I received 7 emails from paypal on the same day confirming purchases I supposedly made
i hadn't used my xbox for several days so straight away disputed the purchase via paypal

the game purchases were not made by a family member because there is only myself and my wife here , and she doesn't use xbox for anything, I'm the only person with access

once I'd discovered and disputed the unauthorised purchases I logged into my xbox and was forced to do a password change before I could access it

None of the games or subscriptions that i supposedly purchased have been downloaded to my console and I've had no correspondence from Xbox or microsoft until today when they said I was banned for fraud and marketplace theft

And it should be noted that due to being accused of marketplace theft, I can no longer send messages, voice communications or access muliplayer

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the first I knew of anything wrong was when I received 7 emails from paypal on the same day confirming purchases I supposedly made
i hadn't used my xbox for several days so straight away disputed the purchase via paypal

the game purchases were not made by a family member because there is only myself and my wife here , and she doesn't use xbox for anything, I'm the only person with access

once I'd discovered and disputed the unauthorised purchases I logged into my xbox and was forced to do a password change before I could access it

None of the games or subscriptions that i supposedly purchased have been downloaded to my console and I've had no correspondence from Xbox or microsoft until today when they said I was banned for fraud and marketplace theft

And it should be noted that due to being accused of marketplace theft, I can no longer send messages, voice communications or access muliplayer

ya because you didnt go thru the normal proccess you going to have to live with the suspension 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ya because you didnt go thru the normal proccess you going to have to live with the suspension 

the normal process when you notice unauthorised purchases via a credit card or paypal  is to contact the payment provider, which I did straight away

Xbox obviously know something was wrong because they forced a password change on my account the next time I logged in
the correct process now is for them to contact me, not brand me a thief and a fraud and suspend my account

also the delivery address used for all the unauthorised transactions is an old address that I haven't lived at for over a year, this leads me to believe that my details were stolen in the xbox data breach prior to me moving over a year ago

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you notice all of the purchases are from the same place, in this case Xbox, it's best to contact that place first. Since you contact Paypal instead of Xbox, Xbox wasn't aware there was an issue. So to them it just looks like you bought a bunch of stuff and then went around them to get your money back so you could get free content. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the normal process when you notice unauthorised purchases via a credit card or paypal  is to contact the payment provider, which I did straight away

Xbox obviously know something was wrong because they forced a password change on my account the next time I logged in
the correct process now is for them to contact me, not brand me a thief and a fraud and suspend my account

also the delivery address used for all the unauthorised transactions is an old address that I haven't lived at for over a year, this leads me to believe that my details were stolen in the xbox data breach prior to me moving over a year ago

You having to change your password doesnt mean Microsoft knew your account was compromised. Their system will automatically make you change your password whenever there is suspicious activity on your account. 

The correct process would be for you to contact support first. If you dont and you just contacted paypal right away and disputed it directly with them then for all Microsoft knew you were trying to steal from them. (im not saying that you are but to Microsoft it would look like you are) 

Most banks even recommend you deal with the company directly before disputing a charge with the bank for this very reason.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 26, 2023 Views 1,173 Applies to: