Account under investigation

Hi, as I can see from another topic, Xbox Live accounts being stolen and points being fraudulently spent on FIFA seems to be fairly common recently.  It happened to me last night.

I won't bore you with the details as that's not the purpose of this message, my problem lies with the fact that I now cannot connect to Xbox Live with my account. 

Upon realising that my account had been "hacked", I regained control of it by changing my password and then called Microsoft (UK).  And after being on hold for around 30 minutes they walked me through a number of questions before deactivating the debit card on the account so no more payments can be made using it.  The guy I spoke to also said that my account would be investigated by the fraud department, which could take up to a month (though I've been hearing some people say it's taken longer for them), which I didn't perceive to be a problem at the time.

A short while after making the call I tried to sign in to Xbox live, only for a message to pop up saying something along the lines of "there has been a problem with your payment type, update your payment information" (I can't remember the exact message, it was last night when I saw it and now I'm at work), and it's not letting me sign into Xbox Live, and that's the problem.

When the person I spoke to told me that he was going to put a freeze on the card so no more payments could be taken, he did NOT mention that I would not be able to sign into Xbox Live as a result of this, which I am pretty damn unhappy about as I have access to my account now and I've paid for my gold membership.  I intend to ring them again to complain about this as I don't want to be without my account for more than a month (especially with the vast amount of games that are due to be dropped on us soon), but would there be anything that can be done?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 113 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am in the same boat. I got the investigating going on as well and they told me my live account can be unplayable for 28 days. :"/  I haven't check if I get the message.

Current I didn't know if it was only my account that got hack so I got a new card from the Bank being sent to me and reported those charges to the bank also.

Sadly, I don't think Microsoft will be able to get my points back at all

From my History looks like it was taking on September 29 and I saw charges on October 3 (US time) when they started charging.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

guys please tell me yall got your accounts back by now. Ive had the same thing happen to me too and i really want to have some hope of playing battlefield on the release date

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's what I did, and I can play offline but still send messages to others on xbox live. simply call, have them cancel your Live subscription. (unless of course you have tons of time left) Then, ONLY if your account has been secured, go in and remove all forms of payment. You will then be able to sign into Xbox Live but you will not be able to play any games over Live. The messaging, offline play all remains intact. I found this all out on my own through trial and error. The MS Customer Support has been nice in this situation, but completely useless.

Sorry this didn't help.

and to tatonka....no, I was hacked on the same day as this guy, still no word from anyone at MS

Sorry this didn't help.

Fungus: Hey there! I'm sorry if you've already posted this somewhere, but did you contact phone support to start an Unauthorized Access investigation, or have you just changed your info and removed payment options?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Mister Gwyther. Yes I started the UA investigation on October 5th (for this gamertag), regained control of my account, recovered my gamertag, changed the password to something ridiculously difficult, canceled my subscription, removed the payment methods from the account. I have yet to hear anything from the investigations team. My SR number is at home so I don't have that.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is quite a joke. How long could it possibly take to review this? I'm in the same boat as all of you (with the FIFA crap), called to support, had an investigation started. I could still play games on live for a couple of days before getting that "payment method" error. I can still play offline, but Battlefield comes out next Tuesday, and I preordered it back in February with the intent of playing it that day. Cross-check a console ID and serial number to realize it wasn't me that purchased the content and give me my account back. At the very least, don't suspend my account until you're actually doing the investigation. It shouldn't take more than 1 day to do the investigation. I guarantee you no one from xbox has done anyting with my account since it got suspended.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, still haven't received an email saying the investigation was started, but called support minutes ago and the nice lady told me the investigations team had control of it. No 30-day trial, no conformation. Love this system (sarcasm!). Account has been locked, but no notes have been posted to the investigation report, which confirms my above statement that i guarantee you no one from xbox has done anything with my account since they suspended it. Locked it up before they started doing anything to it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Cant Microsoft see how infuriating this is for paying customers ?

I am a daily player on live, or should I say WAS. I am a Family member with 3 Xboxes tied to a Family account. So we are all without live, not just me. 10 days now without live.

With absolutely no way for anyone, including MS phone support, to be able to contact the investigation team we are all left totally in the dark.

Can someone with authority from support, if such a person exists, please tell us the EXACT reason you cannot contact the investigation team.

I feel as though I am the criminal, having my live account shackled for something that was not my fault.

WHY HASNT THIS FIFA HACK BEEN STOPPED ? We are seeing people, on a daily basis, reporting being hacked and Fifa 12 being involved.

I keep getting a picture in my head of the investigation team holed up in a massive impenetrable tower having a massive party and playing Xbox games 24 hours a day. Ignoring any sort of communication.

Perhaps they think there has been a nuclear strike.

STOP IGNORING US.

And BTW this seems to be the ONLY place we can vent our frustration, as useless as it may be.

I WILL NOT BE **??*?* PATIENT.

Sorry this didn't help.

They lock the accounts to ensure that nothing can be done on the account while they are investigating. This is so that the individual or party that is hacking accounts can't spend any more of your money.

I am currently in the same boat as you guys, and I have been hacked once before. The XBox investigation and account locking doesn't really bother me because it means that my account can't be accessed by anyone else while I don't have control over it. You don't lose any live time either, so you aren't massively missing out (except for if you want to get a bit of a head start on a game)

You should have been given an investigation number over the phone to track the investigation, but I don't know where you can do that.

Sorry this didn't help.