Account stolen - What do I lose when it is recovered?

Discovered my account was stolen a couple of days ago. I think it's the same FIFA related thing that keeps popping up. But I'm not here to whine about that - as far as I know, Microsoft is currently investigating the problem and I'm going to get my account back, the $150 worth of purchases refunded, and hopefully, the single FIFA achievement deleted. It'd be nice to know the *** who stole my account is going to get retribution of some kind, too :/

What I'm wondering is, what do I lose when I recover my account?

I don't currently have an always-on internet connection at home, so it has been some time since I've logged on to Live and synchronised my achievements with the servers. I am pretty sure I'm going to lose the 1200-odd gamer points I've collected since the last sync (including 100% on Rage... RAGE INDEED!) and I've more or less come to terms with that... but it occurred to me I might lose my save games too, and that would be pretty crushing :( I have way too many games in progress, including 80+ hours in Fallout: New Vegas. Sucks to be me, right?

Skyrim arrives in the mail sometime in the next couple of days, and I'd like to play it, but I'm not going to start if the end result is having to start over from the beginning when my account is returned to me.

Anyone know what happens in this scenario?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hi!

And the only thing you will lose from recovering your account is gamerscore. Everything else will be saved!

Enjoy your day!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Can I ask a follow up question?

If I have the save games from titles such as Rage, will achievements re-unlock retroactively when I load that saved game, or would I need to start again?

Sorry this didn't help.

They will not unlock retroactively, though I'm not sure what you mean by " load that saved game." You can't transfer game saves to another account, unfortunately.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ainv just said that my save games will be safe?

My account was stolen and my Xbox is sitting at home waiting for my account to be recovered. I don't need to transfer the save games to it, they're already on it, I just need them to not be deleted when I recover my account.

Also, that really sucks about losing my achievements :/ I'm going to have to play through the whole game again? I couldn't be bothered.

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me explain more clearly:

My XBox is not currently online. I connect it to Live once every few weeks to buy some games and/or sync my achievements. I haven't done that for about 3 weeks.

Last week, I received suspicious emails informing me I had made purchases on my Live account. When I looked into it, I found that someone had stolen my account. Microsoft are currently processing an Unauthorised Access report on it.

Since I haven't connected my XBox for 3 weeks, it still works fine. It doesn't know my account has been stolen, and I can still play games on it. However, next time I connect to Live I will need to recover my account (once the Unauthorised Access has been processed).

When I recover my account, I know I will lose achievements, but do I lose everything else as well? That's my question: Will my saves be wiped?

Sorry this didn't help.

NOTE: I've temporarily rejected Ainv's answer pending confirmation.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you need to recover your account from XBL after the investigation then you will lose any achievements you unlocked while offline. If you don't then you keep the achievements.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, thanks VernierSlake, I think that one's been confirmed :) What I really need to know is, will I lose the existing save games on my Xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

As long as they're tied to the account in question (ie you were using that account when the save game was made) and you don't delete them yourself then no you won't lose them.

Sorry this didn't help.

To my knowledge you should keep your game saves after you recover the gamertag back to the offline account.  As long as you have the saves still on your xbox and the xbox live account is linked to the offline profile it should be fine.

Sorry this didn't help.