Account stolen in August - still no resolution

I have called the XBOX Support number several times so I figured I would give the forums a shot. On August 14th I received an e-mail saying that my account had been successfully transferred to Hungary. I then received two subsequent e-mails letting me know that my points purchases were successful.

I immediately contact XBOX Support and reported the issue. It appears that my primary e-mail account had been compromised and due to my own stupidity (using a common password) the "hacker" was able to get into my XBOX Live account and do his/her damage.

Now it is the end of October - 2.5 months since I reported the issue - and I still do not have an account. The first few weeks I called I received the same answer "It can take up to 21 days for resolution." Then I started receiving the message "It can take up to 30 days for resolution". Then I started receiving the message "It can take up to two months for resolution."

Each time I call I receive the same status: The account is with investigations; since the account was moved out of the country it's much more difficult to restore the account; we will e-mail you when your account is restored.

The only positive thing out of this was the fact that XBOX Support did quickly refund the erroneous purchases. I do commend them for that. I am just extremely frustrated that I am unable to use my account at all. No gaming with friends, no Netflix with the family, no ESPN coverage - nada.

Each time I talk to the Customer Service folks at XBOX Support I can tell that they wish they could help but can't. I can only hope for those poor souls that other callers are as kind to them as I have been.

Has anyone here had any luck finding a way to escalate the issue? I am told there isn't a way to escalate the issue; yet I have read several forum posts here and on other sites saying that 'Oh, I talked to so and so at Microsoft and whammo, two days later my account is back'. If anyone here has any connections I would sure appreciate it.

This is my primary GT in case someone here, who is empowered to assist, can assist.

Otherwise I will continue to wait as patiently as I can...

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Unfortunately guys, Rome was not built in a day. This is something that takes a long time to resolve, the likelihood is that you will be waiting a while longer too. The worst part about the UA claims is the silence and no status updates. We just have to be patient and wait it out. It will be handled, and you will get your account back.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello there, with an account that has been migrated to another country it is not just difficult, but VERY difficult to fix this issue. They literally have to re-build your account to fix the issue. There is not just an 'Easy button' to push to fix the issue. I know this can lead to customer's being frustrated and leading to customer's thinking that they are not working on the issue, but they really are. They will have your account back to you as soon as possible.

I am very sorry that this issue is still ongoing, I would advise to create a new account and use that for the time being until you can get your original account back. Good luck sir!

Sorry this didn't help.

... not in "a day"!  Mere SECONDS! :)

While it wouldn't solve all OUR aches and pains, really -- if Microsoft wanted to play nice with those of us who have been for what it's worth -- victimized -- granted some at their own peril (weak passwords or phishing) or those beyond their control (socially engineered or FIFA'd) -- at least throw us a bone.  A weekly or bi-weekly update on the investigation.  One way.  I would love a dialogue; but a one way "we have your SR and we've begun our investigation" or "you are 50th in the queue" or "we've confirmed the unauthorized charges to your account, are working to remove them and then restore your account -- this process will take approximately xx days."... or "while we haven't completed your investigation we are not finding any concrete evidence of an unauthorized access... do you have any additional information you wish to provide supporting your claim at this time.. please respond withing two business days".

Something... anything... not just open... wait... silence... wait... hope... wait... waiting in silence... hoping in silence... close.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish it was that simple; however:

1. A new account won't have my friends on it

2. A new account won't have my save games related to it

3. A new account won't have my online playing history and rewards on it (e.g. Black Ops, Halo, etc.)

4. A new Gold account costs money that should instead go to my normal Gold membership on this account (can you imagine my frustration at paying for another account and then getting this account back and needing to pay for it too before the other one expires?)

5. A new account won't be registered with my Netflix account

6. A new account won't be registered with my ESPN account

So they have to rebuild my account. 10 weeks should have been plenty for that. At the very least a completion percentage would be nice (e.g. we've rebuilt 60% of your account). That would at least give me some idea of how much longer I have to wait. Some sort of progress update / some sort of regular communication update is all that is needed to reduce the amount of frustration that I and others are having.

The other thing is that you and I both know that, a year from now, I could simply transfer my account back to the US using the standard account transfer service that the hacker used and, interestingly enough, that would happen immediately. Almost as if there is some sort of already developed tool that does this automatically. Strange how that tool can move my account, its' history, and everything overseas so easily yet the same tool, for some reason, cannot be used to reverse it. Very difficult to believe that my account has to be rebuilt and that it takes over 10 weeks to do this when the tool did it in what, a day?

Add that to others' posts about getting the right person on the phone and wham the account was finished shortly thereafter and, well, I think you can understand why I am suspect to the supposed time that it takes to resolve the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Omega! I'd like to take a look at your case. Please send me the following information in a PM (envelop below) and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks!

GT in question:
SR#:
Start date:
Console ID:
Console serial number:
Link to this thread:  

Sorry this didn't help.