Account stolen & transferred to non-US country.

Summary: my Xbox Live account was stolen in May; my Gamertag was changed and $50 was charged to my account (by the individual who stole my account) , and transferred to South Africa. In the last three months, I have attempted to have Xbox Live restore my account to its original state with my original Gamertag, achievements, and downloadable content (accessible while signed in to Xbox Live). However, Xbox Live claims that due to "licensing laws," they are unable to restore my Gamertag to the US (where I am, where I've always been), so I've been unable to access my Netflix account for the past three months as well.

I've since had to cancel my bank account/card associated with my XBL account, dispute the charge, and get a new account with my bank because of this. The first three representatives I spoke with only offered an apology with no compensation for my experience. Now, XBL is offering a free year of Gold access and 2400 points. However, I've been a customer for more than 4 years and have spent 33,800 points in the store alone. I'm most upset that Xbox Live has been so slow to rectify the situation and is penalizing me for someone else stealing my account. Their only solution now is for me to create an entirely new Gamertag (losing my achievements, gamerscore, and downloads in the process). This is entirely unacceptable to me; unless XBL can restore my account to its original state or provide me full credit (33,800 points) to repurchase/redownload all of my current content to my new Gamertag, I refuse to continue my support of anything related to Xbox Live or Xbox itself.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

You're lucky MS is even offering you the 12 month Live sub and 2400 ms points. Your account is your responsibility at all times. MS has secured our information on their end, it is up to us to make sure it is secure on our end.

There are a limited number of ways anyone can gain access to your account:

-you give out your personal information including e-mail and password (this is most commonly associated with people trying to obtain an illigitimate rank in a game without actually earning it)

-you are phished (this is common amongst the free ms points/generators that you see offered around the internet)

-you are socially engineered (this happens when a player engages another in seemingly senseless chit chat about their lives, but turns out to be a 20 question
session trying to gain your personal information so they can steal your account)

-you use an unsecure PC (typically you will want to have your encryption turned on if using wireless and be running a good anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-
malware program as well)

-you use the same e-mail address and password for your XBL account that you use for other websites/services (for maximum security you should be using an
e-mail address and password just for XBL that you do not use anywhere else)

-you thought it would be a good idea if your friends/family knew your log in information (you know, in case they want to play)

While your situation is unfortunate until you know for sure how your account was compromised I would hold off on placing blame and expecting anyone to compensate you for it. Have you contacted support and had them do an Unauthorized Access Investigation? If not, you need to.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I have contacted support and they have performed an Unauthorized Access Investigation.  Xbox Live reps claim my account is "corrupt," yet they have offered no explanation as to what that means or how an account becomes "corrupt."

I have requested to speak to supervisors of reps at least three times; the only one to offer compensation--or to even consider it--was the last individual I spoke to.

However, I refuse to stay a customer to a company that penalizes its customers for identity theft; the offer is meager compared to what I've lost.  An apology and reparations for a fraction of what I've invested is insulting and simply not enough.  All I'm asking Xbox Live support is to transfer my username back to the US and restore my account to its previous state. I simply don't believe that it's impossible.

Xbox Live is currently using the "It's not us; it's the law" argument. It's a specious claim; it's not the law that's preventing Xbox Live from assigning me a new account with all of my previous licenses, gamerscore points, and achievements credited to it. I don't care what my gamertag is; I just want the licenses, points, and achievements I've paid for and earned to be credited to my gamertag.

The empathy of your copy-and-pasted reply is duly noted; I wish that I, too, could be comforted by the self-righteous personal bliss that must come with your faith in Xbox Live's infallible security.

Sorry this didn't help.

When an account becomes corrupt, most commonly via the use of the recover account tool as it is not intended for daily use, the usual method is to delete it from the console, clear cache, restart and then recover the account. But that doesn't cause your situation so I do not know why support even recommended that that would be a possible cause.

And I have complete faith in MS's ability to protect my personal information. I have been an XBL customer since 11/2007 and have had absolutely no issues with anyone compromising my account. That is because I practice Xbox LIVE Account Security.

If the Unauthorized Access Investigation found the account to be in your control at the time of the alleged incident then they would not be obligated to do anything to rectify the situation. Check your e-mail associated with the account as they would have sent a letter detailing the outcome of their investigation.

Sorry this didn't help.