Account locked during fraud investigation, am I totally locked out?

I will preface by saying that I was the victim of fraud. My account got hacked, and I quickly called Microsoft and informed them. I am very happy with the customer service, although I wish the investigation would go a bit quicker so I could have the money that was charged on my debit card refunded... but that's not my question, that's just the setup for it.

OK, I was told when I informed Microsoft of the fraud that my account would get locked. Since then I have not dared to turn on my Xbox 360 console or connect to Games for Windows Live, worried that something bad may happen. I am not a Gold member normally, so I don't use any of the Gold features. All I want to do is to be able to log in, see my friends list, play games and have achievements register on my account, and maybe send a message to some friends.

When I logged in to the website here, I see that it says my Xbox Live payment method is locked, that is good, and it makes me wonder if maybe they just meant the payment method would be locked, not the entire account...

In other words, can I still connect to Xbox Live during the fraud investigation? I certainly don't want them thinking that I am using the illegitimately purchased Gold time in any way, so I don't want to risk it unless I can find out for sure whether or not it's safe. I mostly just miss playing games, but like I said, I don't want to connect and have it look suspicious or anything else negative occur, even if it's just something like the system locking me out.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Usually when an Unauthorized Access Investigation is performed the account and the payment instrument (if any) is locked until the investigation is complete. One way to know for sure is to try to log in with the account on your console, if it doesn't allow you to log in then it is locked as it should be. If it does allow you to log in then you should contact support immediately and make sure they do lock it so nothing else can be done to it.

If you haven't already done so and the account is not locked yet you should change the password associated with it to prevent further unauthorized access. Good Luck.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.