account hijacked - 11,000 points bought, suspended and re-opened now points stolen!

apols if this is a double post / is posted elsewhere, this new forum layout is... interesting to sday the least

On the 14th August i received emails to say that 2 seperate purchases had been made via xbox live for 5000 & 6000 points, i was at work at the time and the xbox was in an empty secure house, i immediately called my CC company and had the card cancelled and i changed my Live account password.  A subsequent "investigation" returned that there had been no fraudulent activity.  While waiting for my CC statement so i could contest the charges i tried to log on to live on the 31st only to have to recover my gamertag. Upon doing so i found my avatar had been changed, the 11,000 points had been spent on the 27th while i was sat in a field at the Reading festival. i immediately changed my password again and contacted support.  I am sure the PC i have used to change passwords is clean. 

Is there a way i can find out wether the points were charged from the Live website or through an xbox?

I tried to log on last night only to be told my account had been suspended as the card was invalid (it was as it was cancelled), i have now had is suspended but have been told i now cannot remove the card unless i close my live account as the card is registered to that account. I now longer have faith in either the investigations system or the security of Live on Xboxes.  Can i simply renew my live membership via a pre-paid card bought from a shop or will my account simply die and i have to create a new one when my renewal is due. I will not under any circumstances enter new card details via Live again.

i should add i have never had any phishing emails, given my password to anyone else or anything of a similar nature.  The only 2 feasible ways that this could have happened (if the CS i spoke to is correct) is that my machine is compromised in some way OR the app i use on my iphone is 360live

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Yeah it might be the third party app you use, or if you had the same password on other sites such as EA, Bioware, EPIC which were all recently hacked.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have had the same thing happen to me. xbox is "investigating". from what I have read this is happening to a lot of people. the hackers are buying fifa gold points or whatever and selling them on ebay!

Sorry this didn't help.

Please note that investigations can take up to 45 days.

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand the investigation is thorough. but how hard is it to tell that I didnt buy 11 halo 3 legendary packs and 17 fifa gold packs...

Sorry this didn't help.

amadeus: To be fair, I have seen accounts that looked just like that and they are totally legit. Some people just want to buy everything in the game all at once I guess. Again, please be patient with the process, and if you need an update on your investigation, just give phone support a call back and ask how it's going. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no doubt that there are legitimate ones out there. but you cant sell virtual goods like that on ebay. that is why the listings are for "a paperclip plus 100,000 free fifa coins"

Sorry this didn't help.

just happened to me...

trying to remove my card details but it is telling me apparently there is a problem with the xbox live system and i cant do it currently, ive changed my windows live password as well..

have you heard anything more from xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

kerry: What just happened to you? If you have a current LIVE Gold subscription tied to a payment method, you cannot remove it. You must wait until the subscription ends. In the meantime, please call phone support to turn off auto renewal.

Sorry this didn't help.