Account hacked pending investigation

Hi all,

My account was hacked recently and 5000 points were bought with my card along with fifa 11 DLC (a game i dont own). I rang MS support and the money was refunded and my gamertag has been locked along with my hotmail until an investigation has taken place. Has this happened to anyone else on here and if so how long were you unable to access your account? Was any compensation given or just an apology? Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

you get a 30day code thats about it

account security is upto the user

as the servers are not hacked

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Im very careful with account details, passwords, etc. Funny thing is i initially rang MS to cancel my auto-renewal to remove my card details. He offered me a good discount for a year so i agreed and that was the same day that the fraudulent activity occurred. maybe just coincidence but anyway, any idea how long these investigations can take?

Sorry this didn't help.

i doubt it

as you never gave him your creditcard

the only thing xbox support workers can offer you is the breakdown between 1month and 12month membership

12month membership is cheaper then a 1 month

you pay 10dollars a month for 1month

a 12month membership is only 4dollars a month so in the end you are saving with a 12month membership at 59.95 depending on your region

you are better off reading this article

forumsarchive.xbox.com/.../ShowPost.aspx

anywhere from 7 business days to 1month depends on how backloged the investigations team is

Sorry this didn't help.

btw xbox live support workers do not know your passwords so any info you give to them is useless as far as accessing your account

the investigations team will send a password reset email to thecontact email you provide them

are you sure you called the xbox support line that doesn't sound right

they cannot offer discounts and they will tell you that

Sorry this didn't help.

He offered me 40% off a year of gold which i thought was a great deal, kinda wished i'd just removed my card details instead though. I was just a bit gutted i missed out on the end of the gears 3 beta lol.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes ive used the same number all the way through its saved on my phone, the same number under which the investigation is taking place. He asked why i was cancelling and i said £40 is too expensive. He said "i agree i can offer you 12 months for £23". He also said that offers appear on the dashboard just before your gold expires but as ive been a customer for many years i would be offered 40% off.

The reason i am suspicious is ive heard of this happening to others just after theyve re-newed their subscription. It cant all be a coincidence.

Sorry this didn't help.

No one can hack an account on LIVE.

Support do not have access to passwords or other security related information and no one who works for MS will ask you for it. But lets suppose for a second they did have access to this information, would they risk losing their job and possible legal action for a LIVE account?.

The only reason accounts are stolen (not hacked) is due to human error, on the part of the account holder.
It could be something as simple as visiting a website promising free MSP or membership which asks you to enter some details, and then you get phished.

But on LIVE people account details are secure or everyone would be losing their accounts...

Just hold tight for the investigation and the return of your account, as far as a time frame goes it differs from case to case as I have seen from other posts. You could always ring support and ask how it is going but they may not have any info for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Im not accusing anyone or trying to pass the blame, I used the term hacked for want of a better one so sorry for that.  As i said i try to be vigilant with usernames and passwords, i dont see any more i could do to improve my own security.

Just a little frustrated as theres some great games out at the moment that im itching to try. If this had happened around november i'd be tearing my hair out lol

Sorry this didn't help.