Account email jumble

I am having issues changing email accounts associated with my xbox tag. When I bought my first 360 ages ago, it suffered the red ring of death after 3 days... got a replacement and it also suffered the same fate within weeks. The clerk at best buy suggested that perhaps I had some sort of virus within my email account that was somehow killing my 360s... we all know better now but at the time I figured he might be right. Enter the 3rd xbox 360, I used my wife's email and created a new tag (after all I only had a whopping 6 achievements on my old tag. I used my new tag for 5 years but whenever my wife changes her password on hotmail I get locked out of the xbox until our schedules permit us to share such info. I tried to move my current tag to my email address but got the error message stating that address was already in use, I moved the old tag to another hotmail address to free up my address but still could not transfer my current 360 tag to my email. Called microsoft support and was told that I would have to wait until the system got purged of inactive tags and emails before I could finally use my own email for my tag. 

So for the 3-4 people still reading at this point, I tried to connect my old email to my current tag and somehow it just created a generic xbox 360 which is how I ended up being RoomyEnvelope3, instead of the tag I've used since buying an xbox 360. Does someone know how I can remedy this situation? Getting tired of having to wait for my wife to give me a password when ever there is a security update or she changes it... help a 30something gamer feel like a big boy again.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Hi Roomy,

Sorry to hear about the account shenanigans. Let's see what we can do. 

I would suggest checking out our Transfer Your Gamertag to Another Microsoft Account if you haven't already. All of the relevant steps to get this working are in that article. 

Let us know how that goes, or if you have anymore questions. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mister Ohnaka,

I thought the problem was solved but now I have a new issue, I moved my tag to my email but now whenever I try to download anything on Xbox live  get a message telling me my credit card info could not be found. I tried activating the pre-order codes for NHL 14 and got this message.

I tried signing into Xbox.com and puty my credit card info but when I tried to sign in on my other email I received the following...

date: 9/17/2013 10:19:19 PM

code: 2CD1549617E65BA

s: RW8RlOjjKO1Gkh+LA9Kxsw==

id: ecf6a360-d7ee-487e-a92e-3f426494374b

req: 8813bc4e-4b4a-484c-af19-84b5f593d8ce

... so I'm back to posting as roomy evelope until I can get this fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah shucks!

What this error is telling us is that there is a billing suspension on your account. The best way to get this resolved is to give Phone Support a call, and let them know what is going on.

Let us know how that goes, or if you have anymore questions.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Called last night, tried a bunch of stuff and was told to shut off my xbox and try again later... 24 hours later still nothing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Roomy!

Can you tell us what all they had you try on the phone? Also, did you contact them again to tell them that this didn't work for you?

Let us know and we'll keep working with you from there. =)

Sorry this didn't help.

They had me try and disable the 2 step verification, they also updated my info in their system. I still get the "oops that shouldn't have happened" message on xbox.com and still get the message about my credit card info not being valid. Also I am unable to connect to the EA server on NHL 14 and the rock star server on GTA V.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Roomy,

I'm really sorry to hear you're still having issues with your account.

I don't want to seem like we're just passing you back and forth but to get these kind of weird account and billing issues sorted, Phone Support really is best equipped to get this figured out. I would make sure to mention that you have been helped before, that it did not work, and request to speak with an Advocacy Team. They should be able to do some more in-depth investigating in your account.

Again, sorry the suggestions so far haven't shown you any love. Please still keep us posted on how everything goes. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel the love just by getting responses, I haven't had a chance to call again. Had a death in the family so the Xbox is the last thing I'm worried about right now. I haven't checked is the help line open on Sundays? Again thank you just for the responses, at least I feel like my problem is important.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Roomy,

Oh man I'm sorry to hear about that. : (

As for the help line, yes it is open on Sundays.  

Let us know if you have anymore questions.  

Sorry this didn't help.

And the saga continues...

Called the helpline, asked for an Advocacy Team member, was told they had to try a few things first. 3 people later (none of which were advocacy team members) So far no results. What I have been told is that my current email has not been recognized as being active, I was asked to deactivate my microsoft account and then sign into my old email and add my current email as an alias to my old account. So far whenever I try to add the current email as an alias I get the message that the email I'm trying to use is already being used. So now I am waiting for microsoft to recognize the new account as being inactive and then hopefully make this work. At this point I'm tempted to try and just make a new account and try to transfer to that.

Starting to feel like life is telling me I'm getting too old for gaming and its time to quit.

Thanks again for all the help guys, wish things seemed a little bit more optimistic at this point.

~The gamer formerly known as DX Faroutman

Sorry this didn't help.