According To Polygon, Xbox One Won't Support CD Ripping or Streaming From USB Devices

http://tr.im/4jtxt

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This means no iPod, iPhone, or Zune Devices this go round.

oh well doesnt affect me in any way shape or form.

That's pretty rubbish. Why take away such a simple feature that people actually used. Yay for the media machine that doesn't support your media.

[quote user="Unreal Warfare"]Why take away such a simple feature that people actually used.[/quote]iPhone has never worked. iPad has never worked. Very old iPods work. Zune's a dead platform (and I own several of them).[quote]Yay for the media machine that doesn't support your media.[/quote]Windows Media Player 12 is available on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. There are also DLNA server apps for various flavors of Windows, OS X, Android, and iOS. Not seeing an issue here.

As for ripping to the HDD, that was a colossal waste of precious trusted writable storage. Not allowing it stops people from clogging their drives with media that shouldn't be there in the first place. Put it on a DLNA-compatible server.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]iPhone has never worked. iPad has never worked. Very old iPods work. Zune's a dead platform (and I own several of them).[/quote]

I have many USB memory sticks that I can put music on to stream from. It's not just limited to iPods and iPhones, etc.

[quote]Windows Media Player 12 is available on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. There are also DLNA server apps for various flavors of Windows, OS X, Android, and iOS. Not seeing an issue here.[/quote]

So the whole point of having a low power state machine is to turn on a more power hungry machine, or waste battery/electric streaming from an iOS device, just to stream music rather than plug in a USB stick and save energy?

Yay for logic.

[quote]As for ripping to the HDD, that was a colossal waste of precious trusted writable storage. Not allowing it stops people from clogging their drives with media that shouldn't be there in the first place. Put it on a DLNA-compatible server.[/quote]

WWE Smackdown and most racing games would disagree with you.

Let the user decide what to do with their space instead of dictating it for them. Especially seems they're supposed to be getting external drive support in the future.

Also if you're ripping from a CD to your Xbox One then you obviously already own that media. You can also own media in MP3 format, purchased or converted, etc. Not everyone is a pirate.

This is quite simply stupid. If you wouldn't use it all the power to you. Others would.

CD ripping is one of the features I never used on the current gen consoles and I never bothered with custom soundtrack in games. Since I subscribed to a year of xbox music, I listen to music more (and cheaper than buying CD's) than I did ever before.

Also, the cloud is the way go to for music. 500gb should be reserved for games since they are going to take a ton of space on the HDD.

Now I don't know if I am reading into this, but the way they state it, it will only work if it's a windows device?

-

In a statement to Polygon, Microsoft spokespeople said the company is working to get Xbox One DLNA-certified. The Xbox One can act as a Play To receiver, allowing users to stream content from supported devices, like Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 computers and "many Windows Phones."

And I was really looking forward to custom stadium/arena sounds this year for my sports games

most of people have a windows computer anyways to store their computers, so I don't see this of an issues that much. Whoever uses a mac or Linux as their main computer though......could be interesting.