About region migration : the retail games

Hello, I have a question about region migration.

I'm french and I moved to Canada some time ago, with my french console. Didn't change the region 'till now but I just bought MS Points and found out I couldn't use them. Thus, I'd like to change the region but there's a thing that bothers me : will my retail games still work after I've changed my console settings to canadian ?

TL;DR : does the region migration affect the whole console (including the disc player's code), or just the LIVE settings ?

Thanks in advance for trying to help me.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 63 Applies to:

you are definitely correct. I just realized that since 4 or 5 days ago a German gaming site was giving away codes for Comic Jumper and I happened to get one and redeemed it successfully...but I didnt know about the memberships still working so thanks for the info.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, Son ALA, you answered my question.

That said, there is a little something I have to correct about what you said : while the MS Points codes from a region don't work on an account from another, codes for contents and Xbox Live Gold membership do work for any region where they are avaliable : I already have used many a-american codes for games and content on my french console, and they work. Same for a one-month Gold subscription I got here.

Thank you again for answering, I'm gonna do it now. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Region Migration will only change the status of your XBL account (gamertag) and change restrictions of the market place.

So we start with you being in France, with a French console, French games and a French XBL account.

You now move to Canada...where instead of PAL region, you are in NTSC U/C.

So lets say you got to Canada and didn't migrate your account yet. You could turn on your XBOX, sign in, play games until you were tired. Everything would be great except for one thing, you cant download from your market place because you have a French account but your XBOX is signed in from North America so you would get tons of errors. On top of that, any redeem codes purchased locally would always be invalid.

Now lets say you did perform the Region Migration.
Your account would now be a Canadian/North American account, you would be able to visit the proper market place and make purchases. I believe your old total of Microsoft Points would carry over and any redeem cards you buy locally would now work (points or renewal).

You would still be able to play all of your PAL region games on that console too...but the real trouble comes when you wish to purchase new games locally.
Are large percent of XBOX games are region locked so lets say next week your favorite game releases a sequel. If you bought it locally and it isn't region free, you wont be able to play it on your PAL XBOX. You would pretty much be forced to constantly import games from your old region or research all of your future purchases in order to find out if they are region free.

I have 2 friends that imported games on various consoles and it looks like the best bet would be to have 2 consoles.
Example being that they had their North American Dreamcast and their Japanese Dreamcast and played them each depending on the game they wanted to play.

You could be the other way around and have your PAL 360 and if you are planning on staying in Canada for good, you could invest in a new 360 so you could play all of your future releases on that console.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know, but it doesn't talk about retail games, which is why I'm asking. Thanks for searching, tho.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pegase Online!  I'm not exactly sure if a region change will affect disc based games.  It may affect digital content downloads.  The issues are described on this page:

support.xbox.com/.../change-region

Sorry this didn't help.