AA and AO

right i did find a link that explained what these are and now i carnt find it it was explained in a thread the otherday aswell but i was trying to explain what they was and thought id read back to check before i said something wring so could someone explain what each is and how they work thanks 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

AA = Anti Aliasing

AO = Ambient Occlusion 

With both there can be different types of AA (FXAA, SMAA, MSAA, MLAA, etc) or AO, (SSAO, HBAO, etc) which use different computational methods to achieve a similarly intended end result.

And which one is our demo build missing again?

[quote user="IIFatalshockII"]

[/quote]

Both.

They said AO will be added in final build, but it is missing any real form of AA because every edge is more jagged than a jigsaw puzzle (it shouldn't be noticeable yet the image is severely aliased).

Look at these 2 images for instance: http://solidlystated.com/content/2011/08/from-dust-aa-sample.jpg

Although there's lot's of different types of AA, different kinds take more post-processing, and can end up losing frames but it's a bit odd if it stays how it is, with struggling frame-rates already, it's early days yet though.

[quote user="IIFatalshockII"]

[/quote]

HBAO (Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion).

It is also possible (though nothing is confirmed at this point) it will have FXAA applied as well as FXAA has become a popular performance cost free method on AMD GPU's in the console industry and it wasn't evident in the comparison video for the Xbox One version.

I find FXAA hit and miss personally, (I think it makes very little difference and it still results in an image that is poorly de-aliased), I wouldn't be surprised if it was already using FXAA, then when it was upscaled it just wasn't noticeable.

I think there'll be more techniques available as the drivers mature, and I guess it's very early days now though.

[quote user="Dark destiny"]I wouldn't be surprised if it was already using FXAA, then when it was upscaled it just wasn't noticeable.[/quote]

Unlikely as FXAA is normally overlaid. It also has a pretty distinctive look when applied compared to other AA styles such as SMAA or MLAA.

I would say SMAA is the more superior alternative of the performance friendly types of AA, but it costs more performance than FXAA.

[quote user="Dark destiny"]

I wouldn't be surprised if it was already using FXAA, then when it was upscaled it just wasn't noticeable.

[/quote]

Like MLAA, FXAA would likely be applied after scaling.

[quote user="Unreal Warfare"]

I wouldn't be surprised if it was already using FXAA, then when it was upscaled it just wasn't noticeable.

[/quote]

Like MLAA, FXAA would likely be applied after scaling.

[/quote]

Yeah you're right, since it's post-processing, I just find it odd it's very noticeable I would be surprised if the game isn't further tweaked before launch, since the majority of this can be tweaked in a preferences file usually.

I would be surprised if the game isn't further tweaked before launch, since the majority of this can be tweaked in a preferences file usually.

[/quote]

I think there are more improvements to come. DICE have already gone on record to say this is not a complete build that we have seen and that AO is to be added Day One. Let's hope they sort out AA as well. Do take into account however that the videos we have seen haven't been the best quality either. While there is noticeable aliasing a poor quality video will only serve to exaggerate it.

thanks for your answers just wanted to make sure i got it right