A storm broke my xbox?

There was a thunderstorm the other night, and the power went out at one point for about 5 seconds.  The next day, I got the rrod with three red bars.  The xbox was NOT on during the storm.

I check a bunch of forums, and people talked about how power spikes gave them the three red bars, but it fixed itself.  Sometimes they did nothing, and sometimes they unplugged all the power cables and plugged them back in and that fixed it.

My xbox has not started working again, and I've tried unplugging everything (several times).  I've also tried a different power supply altogether, and both psu's show a green light, but the xbox still give the red ring.

None of my other electronics were affected, and please don't just suggest I use a surge protector, b/c there's a difference between a power surge (the psu has built in surge protection) and the power spike which probably occurred just before the brief power outage.

Has anyone else had their xbox red ring after an outage?  Did it fix itself?  Any ideas why mine hasn't fixed itself?  The only thing I can come up with is that it knows my warranty ran out two months ago...

PLEASE HELP!!!  I just renewed my live membership, and the zombies are getting out of control since I haven't been able to kill them off....

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Pesky Zombies that's just inconsiderate, they could just relax and have a coffee or something while you got this sorted out :).

Here is the RROD wizard fella.
And a post about consoles suffering from 1, 2 or 3 red lights.

They both have some troubleshooting steps but you may have tried them already. If none of this helps it seems likely you will need to order a repair.
PS: your console isn't self aware, it doesn't know your warranty has expired :P.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.