A more powerful Xbox One? Thunderbolt crossfired 7790s?

With the inclusion of the Kinect 2.0, Microsoft had to mitigate the price of the console to be competitive towards Sony's offering. Unfortunately, graphics took the brunt of the price reduction. I understand the reasoning for bundling in Kinect, due to it's fantastic novel use of interacting with an operating system, but graphics should not have come secondary. I know graphics are not necessary for a great game, but they greatly assist in the immersion of the virtual world.   

I believe Microsoft should have included a way to increase the power of the Xbox One within the console itself, not simply utilizing the cloud. The approximate theoretical numbers for usable bandwidth from the cloud comes to 1 MB/s in the US, which is nowhere near enough for a graphics improvement with no latencies. A built-in port, a Thunderbolt port for example, would allow for an external graphics card to be attached.

Now developers have two graphic fidelities to target. PC developers have been targeting a wide range of graphics hardware along with two different manufactures for many years now. Microsoft and AMD could have engineered and released a 7790 add-on card within a fan-based enclosure to allow for crossfire capabilities. Older games could be updated with a patch from the developer to enable crossfire while newer games will have the capability from the get go. AMD could partner up with Microsoft as the true next-gen gaming conglomerate and push it's new Mantle technologies. I see a win-win here for everyone.

The gamer may have to shell out an $100 for the add-on, bringing up the total cost of the console, but look at the total price spent after games and accessories. The price between the consoles have a smaller ratio after all is said and done. Microsoft could have kept information on the port in NDA and let a rumor out on the ability of the Xbox One to be more powerful in the future and keep the price closer to the competition.

Do you think Microsoft should have gone in this direction or maybe even in a redesign for the future? I'd like to hear some developers and hardware engineers take on this idea.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not sure what happened to the paragraphs. Works with rich text formatting. If anyone knows where to correct the formatting, I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

May as well of have just bought a PC.

The graphical ability between both consoles is nearly identical. You act like the Xbox is struggling to run Mario Kart.

Press "Shift" + "Return" 2 times for a line break

I own an Xbox One, and I own HTPCs/PCs. I was hoping to replace my HTPC with a comparable console. The Xbox One, with it's apps, could potentially replace it. There are differences between the two next-gen consoles graphics systems which are noticeable. Upgrading from a 7790 to a 7850/7870 is a noticeable improvement. I'm invested in Microsoft's ecosystem and carry multiple tech certs. I simply want Microsoft to push forward in technology.  

Also, no. Adding a second video card complicates development and splits the user base drastically. With your idea the hardcore will want the more powerful card while the casual gamers will not purchase it so if you develop a game for the more powerful, optional GPU the casual gamers that make up the largest portion of the user base will not purchase it meaning a high budget for that title is unlikely because it isn't going to make much money. If you develop for the casual, which is the logical choice, you end up with a bunch of disgruntled customers with a virtually useless "upgrade" that makes it appear as though Microsoft is milking their fans. Millions of dollars spent for a failure. If you are saying the developers can develop for both then that is yet another foolish idea because money spent in developing for both cards would result in lower quality gameplay due to budget restraints or much higher cost of development which cuts into potential profit when you could just develop for the console as is instead of trying to make a game "prettier" by such a small margin that it is illogical.

-

PCs and consoles are not the same in this regard. Don't be confused by the way they work. A PC is faster but it has to be because things aren't optimized due to the fact that no two PCs are created equal.   A high end gaming PC sort of just solves optimization issues by throwing so much power at a game that it runs at a good frame rate with high graphics settings.

If you really carry multiple tech certs you should then already be aware of just how bad your idea is...  Driving technology forward involves NOT dividing your user base.

No add-on for any console has sold we'll or been developed for in huge numbers, the list of failed add-ons for consoles is huge.  Creating something lime this would split the user base, and developers don't like a split user base.

[quote user="ProzacTheClown"]

If you really carry multiple tech certs you should then already be aware of just how bad your idea is...  Driving technology forward involves NOT dividing your user base.

[/quote]

Hence why you will never see Kinectless Xbox One's anytime soon.

[quote user="ProzacTheClown"]

[/quote]Consumers are suppose to decide what drives technology....not the companies.

Betamax vs VHS.....HDDVD vs Blu Ray....Apple vs MS....ATI vs Nvidia....the list goes on.  With video cards for instance....there are many different companies that make varied speeds and whatnot of video cards....so ppl can choose what they want.

If Nvidia did what MS does with the Kinect....we'd have nothing but the most powerful cards at $1000.  Thats not how you push tech forward....thats how you alienate a lot of ppl who don't feel like spending the cash on what they don't need/want.

If ppl start talking about how awesome Kinect was then those that chose not to get the bundle would go out and buy it....at a higher cost.  People push tech.