A Message to Those Attempting to Offer Help In This Forum

Greetings Xbox Live Ambassadors and other helpful types.  I'm going to start by being very blunt:  while it's awesome you guys are trying to help people here, the troubleshooting steps offered by a vast majority of those posting range from just plain incorrect to downright bad.

Here are some tips I'd like to share for those who are trying to help:

• First and foremost, please familiarize yourself with the various error messages that people can run across when testing their connection.  If you go through the pages here you should get a pretty good idea of each error message and what can cause them.
  • Secondly, offering generic troubleshooting solutions in every topic is just going to frustrate most people.  I can't count how many times I've seen people told to powercycle or restore to defaults when they clearly state they've already done these things.
  • This leads to the next point, which is that you really need to read not only the first post in the topic, but also every other post before replying.  If there's not enough information to start troubleshooting, be sure to ask the TC to provide further information.
  • Read as much as you can on http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/ since there is a ton of information, a lot of which is not found on the Xbox Support site.
  • If you don't know the answer to a question, just don't post.  Otherwise you serve only to make things more difficult for the person trying to get help.
  • This is the most important one, so I'm going to sort of reiterate here: Don't just blindly troubleshoot someone's problem.  While you're more than likely not going to cause any permanent damage, you can easily make things worse and just make people angry.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

One problem  that you fail to mention is this:  99% of the posters don't want to hear the correct answer, particulary in matters related to their account.  Particulary if the answer is not what they want to hear...you can look at several threads, for example, in relation to GT name requests: no matter how many times you tell a poster "no...if you are getting the 'GT taken' you cannot have the name" posters will continue to ignore the correct advice and just keep posting.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi ChimpZealot, I think it could well be linked to this :) forums.xbox.com/.../1333021.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Everyone will always have a different answer towards the problem a member will have. More answer's are better than just the one answer that keeps getting re-wordered by other people. Personally I'd rather have more 'possible' solutionss to the problem than just one answer even with the trouble shooting being one of them.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah Shadowman, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Dignitas Curtis, the problem with that is that the person having a problem doesn't need to see 12 different people who don't know what they're talking about offer troubleshooting steps which basically amount to "power cycle and restore to factory defaults".

Sorry this didn't help.

As great as it is to see a lot of people willing to help, I definitely agree. If anything, they could link support pages to the existing problems that a lot of people post. Simple thing to do which potentially leads to a solution if you're not an expert/support personnel.

Sorry this didn't help.

Good suggestions, since there are already a lot of generic answers on the various other pages to follow and people would come here to get more specific answers.   Although in many ways the larger the number of responses means  a better chance of a correct one, trying to answer issues where the original poster is very vague is going to result in these sorts of issues.  

Sorry this didn't help.