A little help for a new 360 user.

I just got a 120GB Elite 360 from my friend & got all setup on XBL but I have few questions & can't seem to find any solid info on them. I would like to put a western digital 640GB HD in my HD caddy, is it possible to have that work in a 360? I know that the 360's HDs have proprietary software that has to be on the disk for it to work but I have also heard there are some ways to work around this & use any 2.5" SATA HD with the 360. Also I have to figure out how to disassemble the 120GB Elite model, clean the dust out of the case & off the electronics, & change the t-paste to some MX-4. I have done this many times with the PS3 & have seen many guides for doing this to the original 360 but can't find much about doing this to an Elite 360. Any & all help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Xbox 360 does not support external HDDs for games, so you cannot use your 640GB HDD for gaming. However, you can use it for media such as video, music, or pictures. If you want to use external memory devices for Xbox games, you can use up to a 16GB flash drive and use it for game saves. Anything above 16GB is not supported for game content.

Also, disassembling your Xbox 360 will break all of it's warranties and is not recommended. If anything goes wrong with it while it is in warranty, DO NOT TAMPER WITH IT. Microsoft/Xbox will repair it for free.

Hope this helped.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I wouldn't suggest tampering with the hard drive in any way.  Sadly even if that did work for you, you run the risk of having your console banned since part of it was modified. The only options you have is to either buy a bigger 250 gb hard drive or use some 16gb or lower flash drives.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, they would actually ban you for tampering with the HD. Craziness, but if that's the case I'll guess I'll have to shell out for the 250GB drive & some flash cards. I prefer to install my games to the the HD or flash so the DVD drive works as little as possible. Kinda weak the way MS won't allow you to put whatever size HD you want into a 360. Actually if you think about it they shot themselves in the foot with this one. I'm sure they'd make a lot more money on the digital content the could sell vs the money they make of HDs, flash sticks, & memory cards combined if their consumers had the space available to download as much as they want without having to buy an ext. peripheral. I hate to say it because I do like the 360 more than I thought I would, but I guess I'll be using it mostly for 360 exclusives. Because my game collection wouldn't even fit on a 320GB HD. My PS3 has a 750GB HD in it & I have a little over 400GB used right now. That's all game data too, the only others thing I have on it is around 2GB of themes, 1GB of pics, & 6GB of music. I'd be buying flash sticks in bulk by now if I had all my games on 360. Also I wonder why the 16GB limit on flash memory, you can flash sticks as big as 128GB now. Thanks for the heads up, although this is very discouraging news to me.

Sorry this didn't help.

2GB of themes... That's a LOT of themes. How many do you have, like 6000? Hahaha.

-

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the news, but Microsoft likes their consumers to use Xbox Licensed devices for their Xbox. In the end it will be easier to use, especially in the case of HDDs. Hard drives, for example, would need formatting to the Xbox 360 format to use at all. This would mean it would only work on your 360, and would not be able to save non-360 data without reformatting it again.

-

Once again, sorry for the trouble.

Sorry this didn't help.

you would not be banned for a modification of this sort since it is impossible  the cleaning and replacement of the paste is possible but like the other guy said it isn't recommended by MS but what is? :P

Sorry this didn't help.