I live in the US., South Carolina, Chester County.
I noticed that I lost all of my xbox live channels except for Friends and my Xbox shortly after installing the update that installed all of the kinect options. Eventually I started getting the error code 807b0190 with the following message:
Some xbox live content is temporarily unavailable. You can still access your profile, communicate with other players, and play games online.---- The content will automatically appear when it's available. Status code 807b0190
For the first month, this message would appear and after playing a game the channels would appear (approx an hour or more). I was able to watch movies and new trailers as well as download the ocassional funky game. Since March of this year I have rarely been able to get on the channels and watch 30 min of a movie and haven't recieved any system or game update correctly since if any at all. So far these are the steps I have taken:
- I have gotten a new Lynksys E2000 advanced wireless N router to match the console( so I do not have a cable running between rooms.) Using a mixed security of WPA2&WPA
- I am 15 feet from the router and modem with nothing in-between but sheetrock and fiberglass.
- I have upgraded my internet service from 3megs to 10megs with Truvista (ISP) using a new-out of the box- ZYXEL P-663HN-51 modem.
- I have cleared the Cache on xbox.
- I have went through every file that I can to look for yellow triangles and corrupted data. I removed anything unecessary that I don't use anymore.
- Tried to reinstall the update...(will not initiate)
- I have made sure that my account settings are all open on xbox and set to adult.
- My NAT settings are open and my UPNP is enabled for universal play.
- I have transfered everything from the xbox to my ext.harddrive and formatted (this I find weird because after formatting it didn't do an update, perhaps because it is the slim version?) the harddrive, recovered my gamertag (ONLY my gamertag) and tried to connect. Still the same error code 807b0190 when gamertag was recovered.
- I then transfered all of my data back to the harddrive, double checking for the yellow triangle.
- I then went into the router and released, renewed, and refreshed the IP Address twice. (this was after all of the above and then trying to matchmake with friends and I could not join them on halo, which has never never given me a problem)
Now, I was somewhat okay (emotionally) after all this when I remembered that I could log in on my PC and order my games through xboxlive.com and my downloads and licences. Well I purchased the games I wanted and tried to download to the XBOX, I had to go in manually because they didn't start by themselves so by going into download history and hitting download I get error 8007045D with the following:
Can't retrieve infromation from xbox LIVE. Please try again later. Status code 8007045D
Now, I did the xbox Live test connection....I got all the little green dots to connect and the status of connected. I pressed Y for status and recieved this special collection of digits:
- error status report
- W: 0000-0021
Someone please tell me what I need to do next, or something else I can try besides beat everything with a hammer and call it a day. I'm about outta ideas...Now, please note that through ALL of this Halo Reach is still working and matcmaking with no problem while I do have issues with Black op's(This may be due to the update like most others)