6/20/12 Update corrupting Live data...

I installed the latest system update (6/20/12) and upon completion of the update when the console tries to log into Live I get an error message: "Xbox live data missing or corrupted. To access Xbox Live an update must be downloaded to replace missing files. If this problem persists there may be a problem with your storage unit. Please visit Xbox.com/support for information...". That's Not the message word for word (there is also no error code) it hasn't happened yet today. I contacted Microsoft support via phone after reading/performing most of the described solutions to no avail. What finally ended up working for a short term (a day or so before getting the above mention error ) was copying the update to a flash drive, erasing the marketplace data in the system folder on the hard drive and clearing the cache. Upon restarting the console and installing the update from the flash drive Live works again. However, after about a day or do when I turn the console on I get the same error message stated above. I have an open ticket with MS support and am still waiting a reply, figured someone here might know. Any help would be appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, can you post the error code you are receiving? An error code tells much of the problem.  Check out support.xbox.com/.../software-update-errors . If you haven't already check out the update troubleshooting page as well. support.xbox.com/.../system-update-help

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There is no error code, only the error message that  I stated above. Is there a way to display an error code in addition to the text?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="BDaddyK"]I installed the latest system update (6/20/12) and upon completion... I get an error message: "Xbox live data missing or corrupted.

... What finally ended up working for a short term ... was copying the update to a flash drive, erasing the marketplace data in the system folder on the hard drive and clearing the cache. ... However, after about a day or do when I turn the console on I get the same error message stated above.

[/quote]

Although remote diagnosing such behaviour is not that easy, I suspect, that your harddisc drive might become defective.

I hope I'm wrong, but better be safe than sorry and do the following:

Prepare one (or if necessary more) USB stick(s) as a Xbox storage device. Then move all important data like savegames and profiles to your USB sticks (remember you can re-download bought Marketplace items for free, so you don't need to backup large DLCs or the likes, as you can always re-download them again).

With your data safe on the USB Sticks, turn the console off, and remove the harddisc.

Now play with the console for a few days and see if the error message appears again.

If it doesn't, re-insert the harddisc, and in the system settings under memory press Y on the harddisc and choose to format it.

Before you confirm the formatting of the drive, make sure you backed up all your important data from the harddrive to your USB drives, as formatting erases all data on the harddisc.

After formatting the drive, copy (NOT MOVE) your data back to the harddrive, and re-download your needed DLC's.

Again try your console if the console works now.

If the error re-appears, contact support again, and request a harddisc replacement.

Sorry this didn't help.

After a little more troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion that i only recieve the error message stating that "XBox Live files are missing or corrupted"  watching a DVD. Whenever I try to exit back to the Xbox Live home screen, either by the guide button on the controller or by shutting down the console and starting it back up I receive the error message. I can startup the 360 EVERY time, connect to live, play games online, download data, use Apps (Netflix, Crackle, Last FM, etc...) without any problem whatsoever. I used the 360 for the past week flawlessly, until my son wanted to watch a movie. Sure enough every time a played a DVD, error message, reinstall current update, problem free, rinse and repeat... Any ideas? I don't think it's a HD problem, I have no other save/read problems, makes no funny noises and is relatively new (purchased back in Nov. 11).

Sorry this didn't help.

If you go to settings then memory then hover over the HDD press LB, RB, X, LB, RB, X it will then come up with an option to re download the update :) Hope this helps

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi BDaddyK,

I have to say I am just taking a guess at this but it seems that maybe the update you installed didn't install correctly.  Have you tried uninstalling the update (instructions below) and trying to do the install again.  I hate to tell you to uninstall the update since you had so much trouble getting it to install in the first place but thet may be where the problem lies.

-

I would uninstall the update and then attempt to have the system update through LIVE.  If it fails I would use the USB method like you did before but I would redownload a fresh copy from the site and use that.

-

Reset update

On your console, go to Settings hub, and then
select System.

Select Storage.

On your controller, press
the following button sequence:

1. Press the
            left bumper.
    2. Press the
            right bumper.
    3. Press the
            X button.
    4. Press the
            left bumper.
    5. Press the
            right bumper.
    6. Press the
            X button.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I have uninstalled the update numerous times. Anytime I get the error message I have to clear the system cache, twice, uninstall the update and re-install it from a USB drive. That is the only way it will install so I can get online, if I re-install the update via downloading it online via the 360 system itself it won't work, all it does is display the error message. There is NO error code with the message.  Like I said earlier it works fine until I watch a DVD.

Sorry this didn't help.

That is interesting for sure.  What type of device are you using for your main storage device?  How much free space does it have?  Do you notice any corrupted files (yellow !) when you browse through the items?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using a 120 GB HD. There are no corrupted files and I currently have 67.4 GB of space left.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I "think" I narrowed it down to some sort of conflict with the Kinect hardware/software. I thought it was a problem with the DVD player/software, however, a couple of days ago the update wouldn't load at all, no matter what I did. No error message, it would just continue to prompt me to download the latest update, after I did and the console would restart it would say there is a system update that needed to be installed and prompt me to update it. It was just an endless loop.

I took out my old 20 GB HD and installed that. I turned the console on, got the prompt to install the latest update, and low and behold got the same error message: "Some 360 features are missing or corrupt. A system update is required to replace them. Your console will now restart." upon completion of the update. For some reason I thought, I'll disconnect the Kinect and see if that fixes it, and sure enough when I reinstalled the update it worked. I reinstalled the 120 GB HD, left the Kinect disconnected and tried installing the update and it too worked. Are there any known problems with the Kinect and the latest update?

Sorry this didn't help.