5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One

So I have my Xbox One setup to use 5.1 surround sound since I have surround sound system.  All other HDMI devices, DirecTV, Apple TV and Blu-Ray Player all hook into my LG TV via HDMI.  The TV is then connected to the receiver via an optical cable.  All three of those devices can output a surround sound signal.  Well, since making the change in the settings on the Xbox One and playing COD Ghosts, it still doesn't output surround sound.  Worst of all I went to use Netflix through the Xbox One and the voices are so hard to hear the background noise/sound and music is so loud and over powering.  It is so over powering that you cannot hear what any character is saying!  Yet my Apple TV and Blu-Ray player can stream Netflix with surround sound on this setup with no problems!

I was really looking forward to the Xbox One being the one system that I use for my primary TV!  I was planning on moving the Blu-Ray player and Apple TV to other TVs in the house after I purchased my Xbox One!  Now those devices will stay and my Xbox One will be used only for gaming.  I guess Microsoft did get it right, its the one device to play games ONLY!  Oh and my DirecTV receive is not hooked up to the Xbox One.  Their passive HDMI is a joke!  My wife and visiting family do not want to bother with the Xbox just to watch TV!

Sorry for the little bit of a rant but this just really [Mod Removed] me off!  So, have others experience this problem too?  Any suggestions or are we just waiting for a software patch to fix this issue among many others (such as the passive HDMI issue)?  Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 599 Applies to:
Answer

You need to select bitstream audio over HDMI, not 5.1 uncompressed.  The optical cable you are running from your TV to the amp can only carry compressed surround sound, like Dolby or DTS.  Optical cables only have the bandwidth for uncompressed audio in 2 channels, aka stereo.  If your TV is only sending the front speakers out of the 5.1 mix, that would be why you hear all kinds of background noise and not people speaking.  Picking either DTS or Dolby should solve this problem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.