5 Ghz bandwidth

Does anyone have any experience trying to connect to xbox live using the 5 GHz wireless ban? I am having difficulty getting a good signal.

I have security set to WPA2 only and AES. I have a static IP address and everything else recommended for a good connection. When I set the channel to a lower channel (36, 40, 48 etc.) I only get one bar but I can connect to xbox live. Unfortunately the connection drops every few minutes.

When I try a higher channel (149, 153, 157 etc.) to get more power for the signal, I get all 4 bars but when I look at network configuration settings on the console, the network type and wireless mode keep flashing very rapidly from "802.11n / Infrastructure channel 149" to "not connected / infrastructure" Like I say, it flashes very rapidly back and forth at less than half a second intervals.

Am I doing something wrong? Is xbox live simply not compatable with higher channels or the 5 GHz ban altogether? I googled the problem and apparently I am alone in the universe with this specific issue. I can't find any info on what channels can be used with xbox live.

Any help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

You can use 5Ghz with XBL, however the channels that you're working with on the router aren't related to the power of the signal, they're entirely related to changing the frequency of the network broadcast to try and avoid interference.

What you're describing sounds like there is a source of interference that is causing signal interruptions.

What wireless adapter are you using on the xbox?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am using The Microsoft Wireless N USB adapter (Model# 1398). One thing I've figured out is that if I set the channel width to auto 20/40 Mhz, I still get same results. If I set it to 40 Mhz I get same results. If I set it to 20 Mhz, I finally get a connection but I only get to 1 or 2 bars again! WTF! I either get lousy signal but somewhat consistant connection or good signal and no connection at all! I don't know what could be interfering with the higher channels. This bandwidth has such a short range you would think any interference would affect all channels.

Sorry this didn't help.

Im having the same problems...:/

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Teddy, since this thread is pretty old, please create your own thread for official support. Please include a full description of the issue you're experiencing, any error codes you see on screen, and what you've tried so far to resolve the issue. Thanks! :-)

Sorry this didn't help.