400 microsoft point card

hello i was looking on amazon for the new like gift card things (or what ever replaced points) and i saw the points cards do they expire?  I saw one review an old one that said they would expire soon but do points really expire or is it 100% safe to buy? just don't want to hassle with a return if need be and i really would have to be 100% sure.  Thank you

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

What is currently happening with any existing points card is when you redeem them on your gamertag, the points will be converted to the equivalent currency on your account.  

Yes, it is true there is an expiry period, which is 1 full year after the points have been redeemed on your account.

Read this FAQ for more info: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/microsoft-points/microsoft-points-retire-faq 

Just to clarify a point here.  Currency that is converted from Microsoft Points does expire one full year after redemption.  But any currency added to your account directly does not expire.  So, just a recap:  Points Cards = Expire after 1 year, Currency Cards = Don't Expire, and expiring currency is always used first.

This blows, i liked the points better. I got $50 or 4000 points on my xbox and i cannot get the BF4 Premium because of taxes........ Really???? Worst Idea ever MicroSoft.

Sales tax, not fun.  Any time anyone lives in an area with sales tax, they are forced to get used to carrying more than the initial asking price for anything on store shelves.  If you walk up to the register with exact change, and you didn't compensate for taxes, then they can't give you the product.  That's our trade-off for not having income tax.  But at least it's something we have control over.  We choose to spend when we want to spend, and we are made aware of exactly how much tax is applied to the cost of what we purchase.

-

And Points, while alleviating us from the responsibility of having to think about taxes at the time of purchase (usually already taken care of at the register, or when we bought points on the system), were confusing for many parents.  Kid asks "Mom, can I put your credit card on file so I can buy 1600 points for a game?", and parents have to know what the conversion process is.  This just makes it easier to do the math and give more educated response.  "Mom, can I put your credit card on file so I can buy a game for $20."  It just puts it into plain English, and that's a pretty good thing, really.