4 Years Old Xbox 360 Possibly Dusty/Dirty?

If I have an xbox 360 original since 2008 and has been played at least once or more a week(everyday sometimes) and has been moved a few times for example upstairs to downstairs(reverse) or to other homes to not be bored does it seem reasonable that the reason my disc tray isn't working due to it being dirty and needing to be cleaned? Open tray/unreconized disc/Play DVD or scratching disc problem? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 107 Applies to:

This is a Solution i found online that some people said helped:

Happens to me all the time, and I have a solution, but I know it will sound crazy, but it works. It worked for me and my friends in this exact scenario that you have.

I know why your disc drive will not read,

- My solution sounds crazy, I know, but If you do it right, I guarantee that it will work.

1. Unplug everything (powercords, ethernets, A/V, and HardDrive, etc)

2. Remove discs.

3. Take the xbox and point the front of it faced down, and shake it up and down constantly.

4. Plug everything back in and put in a disc to see if it reads.

5. Repeat until it works.

The reason why I have you do that: is because the laser in the drive is stuck in the back in the older models, and this is one of the only ways to put it back into place without opening up the drive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey No1 Is Hacking! We definitely do not recommend shaking your console! Instead, can I have you run through our Xbox Disc Drive Solution and try the steps suggested there? Do the disc issues persist? If they do, can you tell us the exact errors you're getting and when? That will help us get a better idea of what steps might help!

Sorry this didn't help.

The Disc Drive Solution Didn't Help.The Xbox 360 at first made a small circle scratch around the inner ring of the disc however it does not affect the the disc as it works fine. The past year all my disc sometimes went unreadable.(more often on certain disc) The past few months the xbox 360 started to say open tray to every game I played however after reopening for 5 minutes or less it worked. Now this month it started to take 30 minutes of reopening for the tray to work. Then it took 1 entire day of reopening to work. Now it its been a week of reopening and it doesn't work. Im assuming its not going to read if its been a week. However when it reads the disc I can hear the certain noises like the fan and everything indicating its spinning and reading. However when it can't read it seems like the laser is making this light swishing/swissing noise is all I can describe it. It goes open tray sometimes unrecognised disc or play DVD. When it did read my games however when I reset my console it wouldn't be able to read again and go open tray which I had to repeat opening the tray.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like your console is in need of repair. You can submit an online repair request here: myservice.xbox.com/.../welcome.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Should I buy a lens cleaning disc to see if its worth a shot or is it most likely not due to dirty lens?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is always worth trying to clean the lens - But a Gen 1 console does have problems with the eye in the dvd drive going bad and causing the problems you are describing.

Sorry this didn't help.