3F4B Update Error

No matter how I try to update the system (Network or CD/DVD), I always get the following error:

3f4b 0000 3000 0800 d000 0185 - CD/DVD Update (the DVD doesn't need to be cleaned...and the volume can be read on my Windows 7 PC, I've burned two just to be sure)

3f4b 0000 3080 0300 d000 0185 - Network Update (the test network connection utility always successfully connects)

Here is how I got here:

In November, I purchased the XBox 360 Slim with the 4GB internal memory to replace an older 360 that got the red ring syndrome late last year. I finally got around to setting it up a few weeks ago. Since the old system couldn't boot, I couldn't update the software on the 40GB hard drive to use the transfer cable, so I downloaded my profile from the cloud and started from scratch. After queuing a number of things from the cloud, realized 4GB wasn't going to cut it, so I plugged in a 8GB USB stick. System saw it, I formatted it, no issues. I went to transfer the game files from the internal 4GB to the USB 8GB to free up some space for system files, and that's when I started having issues. Corrupt files all over the 8GB USB, and then on the 4GB internal memory as well. So...I cleared the cache on both, no luck. I re-formated the 8GB USB with no issues, then tried to re-format the internal 4GB. It got a few seconds into the job and threw up an error: "A required storage device was removed. Your console will now restart." The console restarted, tried to update, and now I get those above errors every time. When you go to browse the storage, it shows both the 8GB USB drive and the 4GB internal storage, but the capacities and used storage for the internal are wrong. It shows a capacity of 3GB (which I know is normal because of system files and the formatting), but only 649 available...yet when you browse the contents, there are no files (just the usual folders Games and Apps, etc. with no content). I have tried removing the USB storage and again attempting to format, etc. to no avail. I have tried a DVD update as well, but I get the above error. I have also since then tried the transfer cable as a last resort (reading that the system would detect it and give the option to migrate the information), but again, no dice.

I'm at the end of my rope...any suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 63 Applies to:

Hi there,

Have you tried following the steps at http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/153327.aspx ???

Report back if you have any issues.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I have tried all those solutions (multiple times, in-fact), and my error code is even listed under the solution 8 heading. However, I don't have a hard drive in there, and I can't remove the 4GB internal storage because it's inside the XBox (probably directly attached to the motherboard). I only have the Kinect and one controller plugged in at this point, so no external storage either. I'm thinking I'll have to send this back in and get a replacement....but thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there- it is sounding to me like the console may need service.  Do you have any other USB accessories or a Kinect sensor?  If so, please remove them and give it another go.

Sorry this didn't help.

So, I do have a Kinect sensor, which I have removed as well. Still no dice. It would seem the console needs service for the internal storage memory, but the problem went away when I spent more money (imagine that) and purchased a Microsoft internal 320 GB hard drive. Seems that as soon as I plugged the internal drive in, the update succeeded and everything was working ok. Still can't see the 4GB of internal memory, or format it properly, and it still shows 649 available with 0 files when you browse it. As long as it's working, I'm not going to bother sending it back since I have read stories of the console in repair shops for weeks and didn't want that hassle.

So, I would say this issue will remain unresolved unless the hard drive develops the same issue. Thanks for trying though!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Phocylides! By installing the internal hard drive, you're essentially bypassing the internal flash storage, so that would be why it is now working properly. As long as that is working correctly for you, then I think you're good to go! However, if you would like to get your console repaired to ensure that internal 4GB of storage is working for future use, you can do so under warranty (you mentioned purchasing it in November). It takes between 2-3 weeks from the time you send your console to us to receive it back. I definitely know how hard it is to be without a console for that long though - I have a hard time going without mine for the weekend!

That said, I'm just happy to hear you're back up and gaming. Let us know if you have any other questions or issues, and game on! :)  

Sorry this didn't help.

Same bureau  myn sais 3F4B-0000-D080-0200-8007-2751

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there made to fight! Go ahead and make a new thread detailing your issue and any steps you've taken so far to fix it. That is how these forums work best as it lets us tailor our support to your specific issue. Thanks! ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.

Same exact problem as OP.  My 4gb slim+ worked for about 18 days and now the internal memory doesn't have anything on it and cannot be formatted (shows 3gb of storage instead of 4 and 774MB free, but when browsing the memory it shows 0bytes for everything).  Time for a store replacement.

Sorry this didn't help.

3F4B - 4099 - 2780 - 1315 - C000 - 0032

I ve tried everything so far. either adding a new harddrive.

I don't think this error has anything to do with the update.

as mentionned above, I believe the 4 gig memory is the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi juicehead989,

This thread is kind of old. I would suggest creating a new thread, and we will be there to assist. : ) 

Sorry this didn't help.