360/X1 Compatibility

Why is it that my Xbox One won't play games that are made for my 360, yet it seems like current game developers are all making games that work for both generations? This seems a bit odd to me that I can play Ghosts on 360 and the Xbox One but not my old Halo games. Why? This is no different than lets say for example, World of Warcraft playing on two different PC's, one with Windows Vista and one with Windows 7.

And why are game developers doing this dual release platform? I didn't spend $500 plus dollars on a brand new console, to be held back by the masses who cannot afford to upgrade. Any title that is being released on both generations is limiting the potential of the game. I don't remember any games being dual released on the original xbox and the xbox 360. So why now? And if they are being dual released, then why don't I get the benefit of playing with my Xbox 360 friends? We are playing the same game on the same network.

And why do the 360 users get all the benefits of being an Xbox Live member yet I get none on my X1? I'd love a free movie rental or avatar item or something to replace the free game download that 360 users get.

MS, you need to do a better job of providing the same service to your Xbox One customers that I had gotten used to as a Xbox 360 customer. This new era of consoles should be treated like PC's. You've made an amazing product. Put it to work. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Call of Duty - Ghosts is released for the PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One... you can't take the One disc and put it in a PS3 and have it play.

The 360 & the One use different computer architecture.  I'm not a video game programmer, so I don't understand the specifics, but it is two different setups.  Having said that, MS has hinted at a possible update to allow backward compatibility.  Also, you shouldn't have gotten rid of your 360!

Why not? I can certainly take my set of install discs for any of my PC games and install them into any version of Windows all the way back to windows 2000 in some cases. Some of them, I can even take them and install them on a MAC. How is a console game any different?

It's only more complicated because they want it to be.

It's probably best not to comment about things you don't fully understand.  Or, at least do a little research prior to posting on a public forum.  

Again, I am no video game programmer.  Certain games you can pop into your Mac, because they are programmed to run that way.

"It's probably best not to comment about things you don't fully understand." The purpose of this forum is for discussion and education. The secondary reason of posting this on the forums is hopefully an MS employee will read this and my voice will be heard.

And again, the decision for console games to be so specfically programmed has been made by it's developers. I cannot wait for the day when I can compete against gamers on the PS4 as well as the Xbox One. I cannot wait for the day when developers stop building games for something 10 yrs old and start making games that push the envelope. Not refresh it.

It would be like installing some game designed  for Windows 3.1 on a Windows 8.1 PC. 360=3.1 and One=8.1 to be clear.  MS, as stated by Eggnogga, is working on an emulator or the like that will play (some if not all) 360 games.

MS doesn't read these forums. I agree with your last statement... But you will not (any time soon or ever according to MS) be able to play cross platform with PS4 on your One. the reasoning is they have no control over the PS4 gamers and don't want to give access to servers and such to competition.  PS4 players do not agree to the XBL terms of service.

[quote user="xXCamhawkXx"]

It would be like installing some game designed  for Windows 3.1 on a Windows 8.1 PC. 360=3.1 and One=8.1 to be clear.  MS, as stated by Eggnogga, is working on an emulator or the like that will play (some if not all) 360 games.

[/quote]

No, it would be like installing a game designed for Windows Vista or 7 on a Windows 8 PC which is very, very common.  Windows 3.1?  That is a 16-bit operating system from the early 90's.  Xbox 360 isn't a Sega Genesis.  Why use analogies when you are going to exaggerate them to the degree that they do not apply to what you are talking about?  I guess the analogy then wouldn't apply because some games designed for Win 95/98 will still play on modern operating systems and you actually can do that.

Backwards compatibility is something they really should consider, that way you only need to have one console if you still play games from both.

Backwards compatability is NOT enabled.......   it's a way to generate more sales.

Some great points have been made but, the bottom line is money.  It's just that simple.

You can also use the console in ways that all games are free but, it's a decent way to get in trouble too.

I have a few movies on VHS......  with your logic, I should have the copyright to DVD, Blue Ray, HD DvD, Laser Disk and Beta versions for my collection..........  That's not how it works.

At some point a virtual console much like the "Arcade" or "On Demand" games will be availible....  Right now though, many more 360's are in homes than One's.    When the market shifts, new additions will be made and you can rebuy games again......

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Bong, a BluRay player will play DVD's.  That is backwards compatibility.  The argument is not to be given the BluRay of a movie for which you own a DVD for free, but that you can play your DVD in the newer player, which in that instance, you can.  VHS, Laser Disc and Beta are like asking them to put in hardware to read your old game cartridges from SNES/Genesis.  No one here is asking to be given "freebie" One versions of games, but for the One to play 360 games.

If what others are saying is true and they update the consoles to allow backwards compatibility then rebuying 360 titles may not be necessary.

I was merely pointing out that there is a HUGE difference in architecture between the 360 and the One. It is a valid comparison to an ancient version of Windows and a current version of Windows the architecture is different. like you said 16 bit to 64 bit.... huge difference.  But I had my versions reversed... but the gist came through.